BackYard Chickens Stats:

DaveOmak

Songster
6 Years
May 18, 2013
Omak, Washington
My Coop
My Coop
It's time to remove the games etc. from statistics about chickens.....
Making note of how many posts a person has because they are playing a game, confuses the meaningful content some of us may be seeking....
If you are using those statistics to glean monies from advertisers, I can understand it..... but..... many are here to learn about chickens....

What exactly are you saying? That posts from games should not be included in the post count on their profile?
I believe that was the gist of it, yes. Many members feel that way from what I've read. Some feel that it makes members who have high post counts due only to game playing seem as if they are more knowledgeable than they truly are about chickens in general, what this site is really dedicated to. To clarify, I'm just telling you what I've read others say about it. I don't care one way or the other.

Example, myself: out of my over 67,770+ posts, only 75 posts occurring in 5 threads are in the Games section. There are some members who have the bulk of their posts in that section. Different people are here for different reasons.

Last edited:
What exactly are you saying? That posts from games should not be included in the post count on their profile?

No.... When I want to look up a topic about chickens, I think the post count on the backyard chicken statistics panel should reflect posts related to chickens... health... problems associated with chickens... etc.... not necessarily how many posts were on games, jokes and fun..

I think there should be two (2) display panels on this forum.... "One for social" and "One for folks interested in knowing what to do with their flock"... Ducks, geese, chickens, quail, emu, etc....

No.... When I want to look up a topic about chickens, I think the post count on the backyard chicken statistics panel should reflect posts related to chickens... health... problems associated with chickens... etc.... not necessarily how many posts were on games, jokes and fun..

I think there should be two (2) display panels on this forum.... "One for social" and "One for folks interested in knowing what to do with their flock"... Ducks, geese, chickens, quail, emu, etc....

Ah, I see now, sorry if I misrepresented what you were saying. There is the other camp who feels that game post count should never be included and it sounded like you were speaking about that.

Ah, I see now, sorry if I misrepresented what you were saying. There is the other camp who feels that game post count should never be included and it sounded like you were speaking about that.

Game post counts are probably a very important part of the forum when it comes to dollars generated by the advertisers that go to support the forum.... That's my guess anyway.... Folks who come here to socialize is very important to the forum.... Folks who come here to learn stuff, or folks that come here to share information..... It's ALL important.....
My idea is... When I go to see how many folks visited a thread, a very active thread, I'm looking for chicken info that folks may be very interested in... It seems the "game" count supersedes the count by folks learning about chickens......
That is my "*****" so to speak... Sooooo...... have the game count in a "social media" counter so folks can see which social media site is very active....
Everyone should/will benefit...

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback and discussion.

For the record, post counts have nothing to do with advertising revenue for the site. In the 15 years I've been running websites I've never had an advertiser even slightly interested in how many posts are being made.

Limiting which sections count towards a person's post counts isn't as straight forward as it might seem, and it will always be at a member's discretion to use many more data points about a member's value other than just post count (for example, the member's ovations, articles, content, etc.).

@speckledhen is the BEST example of the intersection of quantity AND quality posts!

I, for one, am only made aware that there are "games/jokes/fun" by topics like this. When I want to delve into the depth of fellow member's (those still extant & those now sadly missed) shared knowledge re: poultry; I rely on the Advanced Search Function. The "stats" don't help when automictic parthenogenesis as exhibited in Meleagris Gallopavo, for example, is the subject of inquiry. It is of little utility, to me, to do more than glance at the post count of members (excepting speckledhen, i.e., "how did/does she do that????). There are some members who post only rarely whose information/wisdom has led to my Advance searching all their posts and copying the info. for inclusion into my BYC.ASK (text based DB).

Having limited time, on BYC, I'm still discovering very knowledgeable members with thousands of posts, whose expertise only rarely intersects with my interests though, when it does, I'm pleased to know they're "here".

I consider the social stuff as being a handful of mealworms mixed into the standard ration. Or, as I mentioned in a post, back in `10, on the related subject of segregating the "recent posts" list into poultry/social sections by some means (earlier BYC platform), that the social/game sections are like the free chicken dinner offered to get the unwashed into the revival tent.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/386744/taking-games-jokes-and-fun-out-of-recent-posts-listing

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom