Bacterial infection?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Supermommy486, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    I have a hen setting on some eggs. I have candled them and see on that was almost porus looking. I was just reading it could be bacterial infection? There is a baby chick in there. I guess I will just let nature take it's course but what should I expect if it hatches?

Thanks so much!!!

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Porous eggs and bacterial infection aren't the same thing, though it is believed that porous eggs are more susceptible to bacterial infection. If you have a live and kicking chick in there, you probably won't need to be concerned. [​IMG]

3. Sushi

Sushi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I just hatched out an adorable little chick from a porous shelled egg yesterday. Didn't do anything special, just keep the bator clean and always wash your hands before handling the eggs.

4. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Ok cool. Yea I don't know if I'm looking at just porus or what...lol. But good to know! Thanks SO much! [​IMG]

5. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Since they're under a hen, there's not much you can do, but these eggs are also susceptible to losing too much liquid volume inside during incubation, so if you ever have this happen in an incubator you'd want to keep the humidity a little higher.

As for why this happens, sometimes if it's just one or two, stuff happens. If all the hens are laying like this, or the majority, it's usually a nutritional issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by