Bacterial infection?

Supermommy486

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
South Central Texas
I have a hen setting on some eggs. I have candled them and see on that was almost porus looking. I was just reading it could be bacterial infection? There is a baby chick in there. I guess I will just let nature take it's course but what should I expect if it hatches?

Thanks so much!!!

Porous eggs and bacterial infection aren't the same thing, though it is believed that porous eggs are more susceptible to bacterial infection. If you have a live and kicking chick in there, you probably won't need to be concerned.
yippiechickie.gif

I just hatched out an adorable little chick from a porous shelled egg yesterday. Didn't do anything special, just keep the bator clean and always wash your hands before handling the eggs.

Since they're under a hen, there's not much you can do, but these eggs are also susceptible to losing too much liquid volume inside during incubation, so if you ever have this happen in an incubator you'd want to keep the humidity a little higher.

As for why this happens, sometimes if it's just one or two, stuff happens. If all the hens are laying like this, or the majority, it's usually a nutritional issue.

Back
Top Bottom