Bad case of fowl pox? With ear infections?

Mburrows6653

Chirping
Jul 24, 2022
I need help with my birds. I noticed fowl pox starting to run its course through my birds a few weeks ago. My bantams got hit hard and they look terrible. Some of Their eyes are crusted shut, and they seem to have ear infections?! I am helping the worst ones eat/drink bc they can’t see. But How do I treat them for the ears? I’m using Banixx on their scabs at this time. Most of my birds have had very mild cases and they never acted sick. But these others look terrible. Thank you very much. Your Help/recommendations are appreciated.

Yes, you can use Betadine.

Try cleaning out the ear. Apply 1 drop of Peroxide, let it bubble up some of the gunk, wipe it clear. Apply only 1 drop at a time, then clean the ear and if you need to, work on it over the course of a few days if she becomes distressed or lethargic.
Hopefully with cleaning it out, it will make her more comfortable.

Metronidazole may be helpful so I would start it. @Eggcessive or @dawg53 may suggest something different.

There arnt any antibiotics that will treat fowl pox including Metronidazole.
Iodine will kill the virus and shrink the lesions but you must avoid the eyes. As mentioned, you can use plain Neosporin or Terramycin eye ointment in the eyes to prevent bacterial infection. I've never used Banixx.
As far as the ears go; see post #7 in this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/why-is-my-hen-shaking-her-head.991813/#post-15425016
For an ear infection this bad, I recommend Amoxicillin. Dosage is one 250mg capsules twice a day for 7 days. Here's where you can order it:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=E68FC9E3-30C2-402A-88C4-567BDED2C139

I have metro on hand, but need to order amoxi as recommended by dawg53. IF it is ear canker, then theoretically, Metro would help right? And if it’s just an ear infection, I’d see no improvement?
I have at least 5 birds with ears like this, they only have the ear problem not the whole fowl pox on top of it. So that’s why I’m wondering if it could be ear canker? I’m at a loss at this point. I’ll start cleaning it today , order amoxi, and try metro for the few days I’m waiting for amoxi. Thank you so much.

Another bantam has those fowl pox lesions closing her eyes completely.. they’re both in my spare bedroom “hospital wing” now. Should I use terramycin on those lesions since I cannot use betadine around the eyes? Thank you.
No. If you read what's in the link I provided, you'll discover that "Ear Canker" is actually bacteria. Please read the types of bacteria that infect the ears.
If it were TRUE Canker, a protozoa, then yes, Metronidazole would treat it.

Terramycin eye ointment only treats bacteria, nothing viral. A good example would be if she scratches her eye and a bacterial infection sets in causing redness, swelling etc.
It will not treat the fowl pox lesions.
You're in a tough situation and I hope your birds make a speedy recovery. I've dealt with fowl pox and I know how miserable birds are. Time is the only cure for fowl pox.
The good news is that birds will be immune thereafter to that particular strain of fowl pox.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use anything else besides the Terramycin on the eye. I'd try lightly warming the ointment, so it spreads easier, and you don't have to rub the eye.

I'm glad you are seeing some improvement with the others, hopefully they will make a full recovery.

Amoxicillin can be give twice a day for up to 10 days, so keep it up. I'm sure it's exhausting having to deal with all of this, you're doing a good job taking care of them.

Ok. I will use amoxicillin. However she only weighs 1 pound. She’s a 5 month old bantam Cochin. She’s also lost a ton of weight because of this. Do you know the dosage/kg?
Thank you for the help.
I think that Casportpony has recommended 57 mg per pound, twice a day, but I would round it off to 50.

I'm sorry about the white hen, but it's good to hear the black one has healed. It will take time, but usually they will feather back out.

Poor Girl!! :( It's been really rough on them hasn't it?
Can you tell if there's material inside the ear like pus that may need to be removed? If there is, then use a drop of Peroxide and let it bubble up the material so you can wipe it out. It may take time over the course of a few days to help get the material out.

If she's been on Amoxicillin for 14 days, then that would be the limit I'd give.
You could try a different antibiotic if she begins to really fail, but it sounds like she's eating/drinking on her own, so she may be able to overcome this on her own.

Since she's got the shivers, can you provide her with a little supplemental heat? Like a heating pad, heat lamp (safely!) or similar? She would need to have plenty of room to move from the heat, but it may help her through this, sometimes when sick, they have a hard time regulating body temps. I don't know where you are located, but nights here are already in the 30s, so she may be struggling a little.
It’s been really rough on them, and me. We’re all exhausted, but none of us are giving up!
She’s inside my house and it’s about 75 here during the day, nights inside are around 70 in my house. She’s lost a lot of weight during this, but yes, I’ll supplement her with safe heat source!
As far as the ears.. those huge bumps are her ears, however there’s no where to see inside. The ear is under the “scab and swelling” if that makes sense? All the others, the swelling went down and the ear scabs loosened and I peeled them off with giant clumps of gross thick puss stuck to them. Then I cleaned their ears and applied triple antibiotic inside the ears. There’s still 2 birds I’m waiting to peel away scabs, but they’re not ready to come off yet! But they’re almost there.
Should I just try peroxide on top of the skin? Hers is not drying up like everyone else’s did. It’s just staying big and swollen. So I’m at a loss.
Do you have a recommendation for a different antibiotic? I will stop the amoxicillin.
Thank you for being so kind and helpful and reassuring. It’s hard to share photos and people not understand how much I’m putting into helping them when they look like this. I see them as “improving” and I’m sure others see them as suffering 😭 but they’re all in good spirits!

Back
Top Bottom