Bad case of fowl pox? With ear infections?

Mburrows6653

Chirping
Jul 24, 2022
I need help with my birds. I noticed fowl pox starting to run its course through my birds a few weeks ago. My bantams got hit hard and they look terrible. Some of Their eyes are crusted shut, and they seem to have ear infections?! I am helping the worst ones eat/drink bc they can’t see. But How do I treat them for the ears? I’m using Banixx on their scabs at this time. Most of my birds have had very mild cases and they never acted sick. But these others look terrible. Thank you very much. Your Help/recommendations are appreciated.

This is the worst one. She’s not eating or drinking on her own, so I’m tubing her eggs and water and nutridrench. I’m also putting Banixx on her head/face to help with the sores. 😔

Attachments

• IMG_4623.jpeg
    IMG_4623.jpeg
    631.1 KB · Views: 37
Can you please post photos of her whole head and beak?

Not sure if that's Fowl Pox or not.

Did you ever see the vet about this bird from the thread back in July - what was the diagnosis?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/swollen-eye-no-puss-ball.1588462/
Photo below. Yes, I took the last bird to the vet. They wanted $650 to sedate and surgically remove it. I had her euthanized instead unfortunately after 3 additional weeks of supportive care, and antibiotics. It continued to grow to the point she looked miserable.

Attachments

• IMG_4616.jpeg
    IMG_4616.jpeg
    569.3 KB · Views: 33
That may well be fowl pox in the picture above of the chicken that was euthanized. It can look different in each case. Ear infections are also common.What in the world was the vet going to remove? The best way to get a diagnosis is a necropsy by the state vet, or if you are in a different country, a local poultry lab. Sorry for your loss.

That may well be fowl pox in the picture above of the chicken that was euthanized. It can look different in each case. Ear infections are also common.What in the world was the vet going to remove? The best way to get a diagnosis is a necropsy by the state vet, or if you are in a different country, a local poultry lab. Sorry for your loss.
The bird in the pics above is still alive. I’m trying to figure out how to help her. I need to know what to do. The bird euthanized was a different bird Wyorp was asking about.
I have metronidazole and can start treating with it if we think it can help her. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Poor girl!

Banixx is good for wounds and can be used in/near the eyes, but I think I would switch to Iodine and paint the scabs on the face/wattles/beak to help dry them up. For the eyes, if possible, use Terramycin eye ointment or you can use Original Neosporin to help keep those softer.
Are you able to get her eyes open at all?

Is she able to eat?
Any lesions/pox inside the beak that would indicate Wet Pox?

Poor girl!

Banixx is good for wounds and can be used in/near the eyes, but I think I would switch to Iodine and paint the scabs on the face/wattles/beak to help dry them up. For the eyes, if possible, use Terramycin eye ointment or you can use Original Neosporin to help keep those softer.
Are you able to get her eyes open at all?

Is she able to eat?
Any lesions/pox inside the beak that would indicate Wet Pox?
No lesions in mouth I can see. She started eating on her own today. I was tube feeding her for the last 2 days. I will start iodine tomorrow. Is betadine ok? I have terramycin and yes, 1 eye is open a tiny bit but the other is covered with one of the lesion scabs.
Both ears are very swollen and protruding and she smells of infection. Should I start metronidazole?

Back
Top Bottom