Bad case of fowl pox? With ear infections?

Have you tried just Iodine on the scabs to see if that helps dry them up?

I know we were going with the ointment and Banixx, but Iodine can help dry up scabs, so I think I would try it on just the ear scabs and see what happens. Still put the ointment on her eyes, etc., just try the ears for a couple of days.

Baytril is sometimes used to treat severe infections, it's not approved for use in poultry but it can knock out infections that Amoxicillin won't. If she's laying, toss her eggs for a couple of weeks if you decide to use the Baytril.

I can't imagine how exhausted you are, but you've hung in there with them and doing a wonderful job taking care of them. I do appreciate the photos, I understand it's hard to see them like this, but posts with photos help others that are in similar situations that are looking for information and help.
I sure hope she pulls through, it's promising that she's eating, becoming more active and able to perch.
I have not done the betadine but I will start today. Do you know the dilution by chance? If not I’m sure I can find the answer! I have baytril I can start today. Do you know the dose off hand? I have the 10%.
Thank you again for everything. I will continue to put in my 110% until we’re pulled through this chaos. Everyone’s help is so appreciated.

I have not done the betadine but I will start today. Do you know the dilution by chance? If not I’m sure I can find the answer! I have baytril I can start today. Do you know the dose off hand? I have the 10%.
Thank you again for everything. I will continue to put in my 110% until we’re pulled through this chaos. Everyone’s help is so appreciated.
I found betadine 50/50 solution! And baytril 0.05ml/pound 2x/day for 6 days! I will start both today.

Thank you.
Hi again! Just reaching out with updated photos after 3 days of 50/50-povidine/water solution being applied to scabs/lesions 3x/day.
Also started baytril 2x/day. I’m not really seeing any improvement or difference yet. Do you all recommend continuing with the povidine ointment application? Or switching to vetericyn maybe? You all know best, so figured I’d ask!
I trimmed away all her head/face feathers so you can get a better look at what it is we’re dealing with 😢 pics are of both sides of her face! thanks again! I’ll do whatever for her!
She’s also eating and drinking very well on her own, active, and very very cuddly❤️

Attachments

• IMG_4782.jpeg
    IMG_4782.jpeg
    411.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4779.jpeg
    IMG_4779.jpeg
    469.9 KB · Views: 12
Betadine 10% is acceptable for application on skin.
I would use the betadine undiluted. See if that helps over the next day or two. You may need to debride or remove the scabs on the ears so they can begin healing.
Hi again! Just reaching out with updated photos after 3 days of 50/50-povidine/water solution being applied to scabs/lesions 3x/day.

Ok. Will start that tonight. Thank you. Hoping it works. I don’t think I can physically peel those off! They’re huge and thick and look terribly painful.
I have another update since I feel like everyone is invested 😅
1 ear scab has been scratched off, and the 2nd is 1/2 off, another day or 2 and I think it’ll be off. She’s still eating/drinking great, gaining weight back, and doing well. Photos below! My biggest concern now is that she’s continuing to scratch the ear where the scab has fallen off and is making it bleed. Any suggesting there?! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4801.jpeg
    IMG_4801.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4802.jpeg
    IMG_4802.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4803.jpeg
    IMG_4803.jpeg
    462.5 KB · Views: 10
I have another update since I feel like everyone is invested 😅
1 ear scab has been scratched off, and the 2nd is 1/2 off, another day or 2 and I think it’ll be off. She’s still eating/drinking great, gaining weight back, and doing well. Photos below! My biggest concern now is that she’s continuing to scratch the ear where the scab has fallen off and is making it bleed. Any suggesting there?! Thank you!
And as I was updating, she proceeded to scratch the second ear scab off! So ears are officially open on both sides! I will begin peroxide ear puss cleaning today and work on removing all the debris!

Attachments

• IMG_4806.jpeg
    IMG_4806.jpeg
    535.9 KB · Views: 7
The peroxide is just for the ear canal, and just a drop or two, to clean it out. For the large open wounds, use saline, chlorhexidene or Betadine, and then switch back to saline. After each cleaning apply plain Neosporin ointment twice daily until they heal. @Wyorp Rock may prefer something different, and she may be on later.

Back
Top Bottom