Bad case of fowl pox? With ear infections?

Thank you. I’ll continue Terramycin. Yes, I’m tubing Amoxicillin 2x/day at 50mg/lb dose to all 4 birds. All have ear infections. I’ll keep it up, and keep you posted. All of the help is very much appreciated. Thank you ❤️
Thank you. I’ll continue Terramycin. Yes, I’m tubing Amoxicillin 2x/day at 50mg/lb dose to all 4 birds. All have ear infections. I’ll keep it up, and keep you posted. All of the help is very much appreciated. Thank you ❤️
I actually have 1 more question! If I can get them to see and they start eating/drinking on their own, can I add amoxicillin straight to their water fresh daily to finish out the 10 days? The package says 1 tsp/gallon. I check their crops a few times a day to determine if they are eating/drinking, so I would not stop tubing until
I’m certain. Just checking if this is an option. Thank you.

Amoxicillin is best given orally, so that you know exactly how much they are getting. I do give some in a bit of cooked egg if I know they will eat it all right then, but the best method is to give it into their beaks.
Wonderful, thank you for the info. I will continue to ensure they get the correct amount daily. I appreciate everyone’s help and support and kindness.

Update: the original birds scabs have all fallen off of her face including both ear scabs. Her head/face it completely bald, but both eyes are open and she looks like a new bird.
Additional ear scabs are starting to fall off other birds as well. It’s completely raw and red underneath, however looks clear/clean fresh new skin growth. All birds are still getting oral tubing for amoxicillin.
Next question: should I continue to use the Banixx spray on the fresh clean skin area where the scabs are falling off? Specifically ear area? It looks very raw/sensitive. I don’t want to make it worse. Thank you in advance.

Update: the original birds scabs have all fallen off of her face including both ear scabs. Her head/face it completely bald, but both eyes are open and she looks like a new bird.
Additional ear scabs are starting to fall off other birds as well. It’s completely raw and red underneath, however looks clear/clean fresh new skin growth. All birds are still getting oral tubing for amoxicillin.
Next question: should I continue to use the Banixx spray on the fresh clean skin area where the scabs are falling off? Specifically ear area? It looks very raw/sensitive. I don’t want to make it worse. Thank you in advance.
I'm glad they are improving.

If the areas are raw, I would use triple antibiotic ointment/Neosporin or Bacitracin on the areas instead of Banixx. The ointment is going to stay on better and offer some protection.

I like Banixx and have used it for different injuries, but for really raw areas, ointment is better, imho.

I'm glad they are improving.

If the areas are raw, I would use triple antibiotic ointment/Neosporin or Bacitracin on the areas instead of Banixx. The ointment is going to stay on better and offer some protection.

I like Banixx and have used it for different injuries, but for really raw areas, ointment is better, imho.
Hello again! I’m back with an update as well as more questions! The original black bird is fully recovered, ear infections healed, just bald (hopefully her head feathers will grow back). The second white bird sadly passed today. I believe she ended up egg bound after the illness ordeal and despite my best efforts, I couldn’t help her.
I have a frizzle hen that is like the rest, however she’s now been on Amoxicillin for 14 days, and her ears are not improving. Her eye scabs have fallen off, and she’s now eating/drinking well, and active, but I cannot get her ears to improve. Is there any other treatment options for her that anyone would recommend other than what I’m doing? Amoxicillin 2x/day. Banixx spray 4x/day. Triple antibiotic ointment on ears/face once Banixx dries. I also give her 40 mg aspirin once a day bc her ears are extremely hot to the touch and sometimes she shivers, so I’m thinking fevers. Today she’s very active and perching for the first time in over 2 weeks. Thanks everyone!

Hello again! I’m back with an update as well as more questions! The original black bird is fully recovered, ear infections healed, just bald (hopefully her head feathers will grow back). The second white bird sadly passed today. I believe she ended up egg bound after the illness ordeal and despite my best efforts, I couldn’t help her.
I have a frizzle hen that is like the rest, however she’s now been on Amoxicillin for 14 days, and her ears are not improving. Her eye scabs have fallen off, and she’s now eating/drinking well, and active, but I cannot get her ears to improve. Is there any other treatment options for her that anyone would recommend other than what I’m doing? Amoxicillin 2x/day. Banixx spray 4x/day. Triple antibiotic ointment on ears/face once Banixx dries. I also give her 40 mg aspirin once a day bc her ears are extremely hot to the touch and sometimes she shivers, so I’m thinking fevers. Today she’s very active and perching for the first time in over 2 weeks. Thanks everyone!
The terrible photos are attached below. She looks horrific, but this is a huge improvement. But still not “great” 😭 and it’s breaking my heart to not be able to help her more,

Attachments

• IMG_4753.jpeg
    IMG_4753.jpeg
    455.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4757.jpeg
    IMG_4757.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4758.jpeg
    IMG_4758.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 6
I'm sorry about the white hen, but it's good to hear the black one has healed. It will take time, but usually they will feather back out.

Poor Girl!! :( It's been really rough on them hasn't it?
Can you tell if there's material inside the ear like pus that may need to be removed? If there is, then use a drop of Peroxide and let it bubble up the material so you can wipe it out. It may take time over the course of a few days to help get the material out.

If she's been on Amoxicillin for 14 days, then that would be the limit I'd give.
You could try a different antibiotic if she begins to really fail, but it sounds like she's eating/drinking on her own, so she may be able to overcome this on her own.

Since she's got the shivers, can you provide her with a little supplemental heat? Like a heating pad, heat lamp (safely!) or similar? She would need to have plenty of room to move from the heat, but it may help her through this, sometimes when sick, they have a hard time regulating body temps. I don't know where you are located, but nights here are already in the 30s, so she may be struggling a little.

I'm sorry about the white hen, but it's good to hear the black one has healed. It will take time, but usually they will feather back out.

Poor Girl!! :( It's been really rough on them hasn't it?
Can you tell if there's material inside the ear like pus that may need to be removed? If there is, then use a drop of Peroxide and let it bubble up the material so you can wipe it out. It may take time over the course of a few days to help get the material out.

If she's been on Amoxicillin for 14 days, then that would be the limit I'd give.
You could try a different antibiotic if she begins to really fail, but it sounds like she's eating/drinking on her own, so she may be able to overcome this on her own.

Since she's got the shivers, can you provide her with a little supplemental heat? Like a heating pad, heat lamp (safely!) or similar? She would need to have plenty of room to move from the heat, but it may help her through this, sometimes when sick, they have a hard time regulating body temps. I don't know where you are located, but nights here are already in the 30s, so she may be struggling a little.
It’s been really rough on them, and me. We’re all exhausted, but none of us are giving up!
She’s inside my house and it’s about 75 here during the day, nights inside are around 70 in my house. She’s lost a lot of weight during this, but yes, I’ll supplement her with safe heat source!
As far as the ears.. those huge bumps are her ears, however there’s no where to see inside. The ear is under the “scab and swelling” if that makes sense? All the others, the swelling went down and the ear scabs loosened and I peeled them off with giant clumps of gross thick puss stuck to them. Then I cleaned their ears and applied triple antibiotic inside the ears. There’s still 2 birds I’m waiting to peel away scabs, but they’re not ready to come off yet! But they’re almost there.
Should I just try peroxide on top of the skin? Hers is not drying up like everyone else’s did. It’s just staying big and swollen. So I’m at a loss.
Do you have a recommendation for a different antibiotic? I will stop the amoxicillin.
Thank you for being so kind and helpful and reassuring. It’s hard to share photos and people not understand how much I’m putting into helping them when they look like this. I see them as “improving” and I’m sure others see them as suffering 😭 but they’re all in good spirits!

Have you tried just Iodine on the scabs to see if that helps dry them up?

I know we were going with the ointment and Banixx, but Iodine can help dry up scabs, so I think I would try it on just the ear scabs and see what happens. Still put the ointment on her eyes, etc., just try the ears for a couple of days.

Baytril is sometimes used to treat severe infections, it's not approved for use in poultry but it can knock out infections that Amoxicillin won't. If she's laying, toss her eggs for a couple of weeks if you decide to use the Baytril.

I can't imagine how exhausted you are, but you've hung in there with them and doing a wonderful job taking care of them. I do appreciate the photos, I understand it's hard to see them like this, but posts with photos help others that are in similar situations that are looking for information and help.
I sure hope she pulls through, it's promising that she's eating, becoming more active and able to perch.

Back
Top Bottom