Bad cut and possible molt. Help please!!!

Micmac1234

Songster
Apr 13, 2021
Colorado
Hi everyone!

First thing I’m look for advice on is a wound. One of my australorps had a cut and the other birds were pecking the blood so I put her in the hospital until it dried up and then released her but kept an eye on her. I just got home from a walk and noticed they were pecking her again and she wasn’t even moving (not a good sign). Anyways, I went out there and it’s pretty bad. She’s in the hospital again. Any advice of what to do?

Second, when do chickens molt? My buff rock’s feathers would make you think she is molting but she’s not even a year yet (will be soon though). I also do not have a rooster.

Pictures of both issues included.

Attachments

• 14F2EBDF-9E2C-4D16-ADE6-C404E18BA451.jpeg
    14F2EBDF-9E2C-4D16-ADE6-C404E18BA451.jpeg
    559.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 96E5F47A-164A-4E53-8D70-D6754EE9653E.jpeg
    96E5F47A-164A-4E53-8D70-D6754EE9653E.jpeg
    785 KB · Views: 8
Is there any overcrowding or boredom from not getting outside to roam around? What are you feeding? How did the australorp’s wound occur? Is she normally picked on? The feather loss could be from feather picking, but I would check for lice and mites. Do any others have feather loss? I would clean the wound with Chlorhexidene or Vetericyn, and apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Keep her separated in a dog crate with food and water.

Your birds are feather pecking/plucking - approaching cannibalism in the injured hen. Are you feeding a balanced diet, and do the birds have adequate space? It may be necessary to apply Pin Less Peepers to break the habit.

Is there any overcrowding or boredom from not getting outside to roam around? What are you feeding? How did the australorp’s wound occur? Is she normally picked on? The feather loss could be from feather picking, but I would check for lice and mites. Do any others have feather loss? I would clean the wound with Chlorhexidene or Vetericyn, and apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Keep her separated in a dog crate with food and water.
There’s not overcrowding but they definitely could be bored because we’ve had a ton of snow so I haven’t let them out to free range. I am not sure how the wound occurred! She is definitely the shy and submissive one of the group and there’s one bully in the group. I have her in a dog crate and separated, I am just a little worried about how long it will take her to heal with avoiding infections. It looks like they were literally pecking her flesh.

There is not other bird with feather loss, just her! I didn’t see any signs of lice or mice. She has had the “down” look to her for awhile now but as of today I noticed feathers missing in her neck.

Your birds are feather pecking/plucking - approaching cannibalism in the injured hen. Are you feeding a balanced diet, and do the birds have adequate space? It may be necessary to apply Pin Less Peepers to break the habit.
I think it honestly got to cannibalism! There’s definitely missing flesh!

Also, they organic feed and have access to egg hells 24/7 and they have grit and since it’s been cold out I’ve been feeding them dried mealworms and corn.

So I just went out and checked the buff rock again and it looks like she does have mites. I’m shocked no other bird is showing signs… I’m going to get some DE for their dirt bath, any other suggestions to get rid of them?

So I just went out and checked the buff rock again and it looks like she does have mites. I’m shocked no other bird is showing signs… I’m going to get some DE for their dirt bath, any other suggestions to get rid of them?
DE isn't going to do anything to get rid of the mites. Get some livestock powder or sevendust (something with permethrin in it) and give them a good dusting. You're going to have to do the coop to after you get rid of all the bedding

Back
Top Bottom