Bad egg? pic included

BUG126

Songster
11 Years
Jun 28, 2008
WA State
Me again...with another newbie question.
big_smile.png
Yesterday was day 20, picked up the eggs from broody on tueday and put them in bator. Yesterday when I got home from work there was a little yellow gooey spot under an egg. Not wanting to open the bator I used hubby's LED maglite and shinned it in at the egg through the window. This is what I saw...I'm thinking this is a bad egg? Looks like a large airsac with not much dark area. I pointed the maglite at the other eggs and couldnt see anything in them, except all darkness.

IMG_2985.jpg

What do I do? Today is day 21. Do I leave it and hope it doesnt burst?

I would throw it out. by the way, why did you take eggs from a broody to put in a bator? broodies do it best and almost always right.

Quote:
Long story, but we brought them to a broody that we found on craigslist (about 30 mins from our house) because our old bator wouldnt stabilize. Once we bought a new one & got it stable we picked the eggs up and brought them home. The kids really want to be able to watch them hatch. We hope that of the 5 silkies we have now some will be pullets and go broody, but they are only 5 weeks old.

I'm sorry I didn't read it correctly, you removed them on day 20. I thought you removed them to incubate them on your own.

I would check for bad smell first. Are you sure it's gooey? If the eggs are in a moist environment, sometimes dirt from the egg will drip off with any water in the atmosphere. If it's gooey, then that's another story.

Quote:
AKKK! They all smell a little funky, they have been under a chickens tush for 19 days. If its bad I am assuming it will be WAY funkier than the rest? Like I said, I didnt open the bator up, but it looks like a sticky spot, yellow, not like dirt, although it is a dirty egg. Thanks for your help! I will sniff around when I get home from work.

Last edited:
Quote:
thanks! So do I open the lid and take it out? I dont want to do anything to harm the eggs, but I dont want it to explode and contaminate them all either.

Yes, if its rotten and you need to throw it out, you have to open the lid and take it out! It won't be good for the ones that do hatch!

Back
Top Bottom