DovesFlock

Songster
Aug 31, 2023
So I have a bunch of eggs (25) that I’m trying to hatch. I have a few questions and concerns.

Starting off last Wednesday (Aug 31)
I tried to keep the eggs warm via candles until I could get back power. The ones I could transport I took to my aunts who has a generator. So they weren’t without power for too long. Of the ones that stayed they were in lockdown and all passed sadly.

The one that was supposed to hatch yesterday didn’t. (Laid Aug 16) I felt it moving yesterday and the egg felt heavy. However today there’s not internal pip. I candle it and it didn’t move when I picked it up nor could I really tell if it had internally pipped. Not sure if it already died or not.

I have one that was due Tuesday that never hatched though it looked behind (probably due to the power outage happening) it looks like maybe it’s still developing but I also can’t really see any movement in there. Not sure when to call it.

I have two due tomorrow I haven’t checked.

Two the next day
And one the next (Aug 19) that seems to be idk almost like it’s secreting this dingy blood wetness Especially after I spray them with water (for humidity). Last time I had an egg like this it was rotten and dead however none of the eggs stink. This egg looks dark inside except for the aur cell

I also have 1 Aug 20 and 2 Aug 21 that also look dark inside except for the air cell. Is that normal? Are they dead?

I will candle them and take pics later for examples (once I have an extra phone to take the pics with)

If by those descriptions you know anything please let me know.
For now here’s a pic inside my in and a pic of the egg that’s got weird liquid

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 4
Can you give more details about your incubator setup. It looks like a disposable cooler and a drop light as best I can work out. No shame in DIY, I use a modified old toaster oven. How are you controlling the temperature? Is it stable and evenly heating without hot or cold spots? Why the staggered hatch dates?

Can you give more details about your incubator setup. It looks like a disposable cooler and a drop light as best I can work out. No shame in DIY, I use a modified old toaster oven. How are you controlling the temperature? Is it stable and evenly heating without hot or cold spots? Why the staggered hatch dates?
Yes it’s a styrofoam cooler (I’m not sure exact size.) a 15 watt light, and some water (about a quarter of an inch deep.it’s really really shallow) Styrofoam egg cartons to hold the eggs point end down and then a spray bottle for added humidity. To control the temp and such I have vent holes. I put them In certain spots so I can control if I want more or less heat or humidity (one up top two to three in the sides near the bottom)

It keep a it at a constant 100 before I put them in (for the lock down one at least. I have two incs) so there shouldn’t be any real cold spots. If so I plug a hole.) I monitor my eggs like a mother hen lol.

The dates are because at first I just had 1 egg layer and I collected her eggs until day 7 then put them all in and then just put any I collected in after that. I wanted a consistent flow of chicks so they pretty much grew up together and I do eventually plan on selling chicks.

Though over the course of it two other hens started laying and I started to getting into doing batches instead. So I withhold eggs I collect for 7 days then put them in and go again. My first clutch of 10 are in there now at day 5 incubation.

If your thermometer is accurate you should be ok. A lot of thermometers are not accurate enough for egg incubation. I know my first one was way off and I got one to hatch my first run.

If one of the eggs is leaking I would get rid of it. Most of them should survive a power outage for a few hours. I have never heard of anyone heating with candles but I would not recommend that. They need fresh oxygen and candles would burn up the oxygen. Anyway what’s done is done I would keep incubating them and candle them every few days and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom