Bad Eggs?

That's a good idea to put instructions in for the customer! It definitely helps when the customer lets us know if they got a bad egg so we can pinpoint the pproblem. I guess I heard a lot about ACV and peppers helping to prevent worms and other stuff..
The price definitely wasn't a problem for the customers, and what they told our egg sellers was something about a bad egg but very vague. Again really appreciate all advice given 🙏. We have only had chickens for a little over a year, and we are constantly learning new things, and most of it from BYC.

That's a good idea to put instructions in for the customer! It definitely helps when the customer lets us know if they got a bad egg so we can pinpoint the pproblem. I guess I heard a lot about ACV and peppers helping to prevent worms and other stuff..
That's how other folks on here have handled egg quality issues (though their customers are often asking for a free dozen in compensation, things like that, that make you realize they're being sketchy). I worry too that people might not understand that home grown eggs aren't going to be like the sterile, perfect white eggs you get at the market, so I've only ever given them to select family/neighbors who understand that you may occasionally get a weird egg.

As far as ACV and other natural wormers, yes many folks claim one thing or another will kill off worms, but as much as I try to raise my birds according to organic practices, if I see worms, I use a dewormer designed to treat the worms I confirm I have.

How long are eggs laid before you pick them? Any broody hens? I actually candle my eggs before they go to others. A few weeks ago I was so glad I did. I spotted blood spots. Opened them up and found chicks had started. I realized egg picking had not happened everyday as it should have and my moms with chicks were sitting on the nests at night. (Teen daughter takes care of chores) With warm days it was enough for development to start.

That's how other folks on here have handled egg quality issues (though their customers are often asking for a free dozen in compensation, things like that, that make you realize they're being sketchy). I worry too that people might not understand that home grown eggs aren't going to be like the sterile, perfect white eggs you get at the market, so I've only ever given them to select family/neighbors who understand that you may occasionally get a weird egg.

As far as ACV and other natural wormers, yes many folks claim one thing or another will kill off worms, but as much as I try to raise my birds according to organic practices, if I see worms, I use a dewormer designed to treat the worms I confirm I have.
I think that is a lot of the problem (that they think their eggs will like store bought). Honestly we probably should be more selective about who gets eggs for that reason. I can actually taste a difference in our chickens eggs vs. store bought and I do prefer our chickens eggs (I'm not just being biased 😉) plus collecting different sized and colored eggs are fun :D

How long are eggs laid before you pick them? Any broody hens? I actually candle my eggs before they go to others. A few weeks ago I was so glad I did. I spotted blood spots. Opened them up and found chicks had started. I realized egg picking had not happened everyday as it should have and my moms with chicks were sitting on the nests at night. (Teen daughter takes care of chores) With warm days it was enough for development to start.
We collect eggs about two times a day, as some of them lay closer to night and some early on. We have had a few broody hens the last month, but they aren't anymore. Our rooster isn't old enough to fertilize eggs yet, and our guinea male would be the most likely, but he only cares for his mate. ;)

Back
Top Bottom