Bad Eggs?

AnimalLover117

Chirping
Jul 7, 2022
Help!?! Bad Eggs? So we give our eggs to family, and they sell some eggs for us to their friends. Around the 18th of June (around that week), we gave some eggs to a friend and our relatives, but a few weeks later we were JUST told that somebody got a bad egg and will no longer buy from us. Then one of our relatives got a bad egg, and we think one of our friends did, but nobody was saying anything to us. I suspect it maybe from one of our hens, and is there a sickness that causes bad Eggs? We are very conscious how long we keep our eggs, we've thrown out eggs from sick chickens, we make sure to collect them before they get rained on, and they forage for the whole day almost every day. We do put acv in their waters (though not consistent) and we put herbs and pepper flakes in their feed.

My first question would be, what are they calling a “bad” egg? Was it rotten? Off-flavored? Did it have a blood or meat spot in it?

Also, why all the stuff in the water and feed?
The only person who actually told us what happened to their egg said it had exploded. We only know someone else got a bad egg because they said they won't take anymore because they might get another one. The other person hasnt said anything about getting more eggs, and we have a very good reason to believe they got a bad egg. We've not had any explode on us though. We put acv as a preventitive, same as the herbs and pepper flakes

The only person who actually told us what happened to their egg said it had exploded. We only know someone else got a bad egg because they said they won't take anymore because they might get another one. The other person hasnt said anything about getting more eggs, and we have a very good reason to believe they got a bad egg. We've not had any explode on us though. We put acv as a preventitive, same as the herbs and pepper flakes
I'd ask your customers specifically what about the egg was bad. It'll be easier to find a solution that way instead of just guessing.

I'd ask your customers specifically what about the egg was bad. It'll be easier to find a solution that way instead of just guessing.
The only problem is our customer didn't say anything about it, and they weren't willing to tell us. They just said they don't want any more eggs from us (which they have every right to buy wherever they want). We found out about it only because our relatives sell them eggs and thats how we found out

Blood/meat spots are caused be a blood vessel rupturing or piece of tissue falling into the egg while it's being formed. They are perfectly safe to eat, but sometimes it grosses people out to eat them.
We haven't had anyone have problems with it, and we didn't usually have problems (or get sick) when we had those eggs. That's good to know! 😅

Maybe they're making excuses because they don't want to buy for some reason, or were hoping for a discount? Weirder things have happened.

If you have a buyer complaint, they should be instructed to take clear photos of the egg(s) in question so you can diagnose the problem. Since you're using a middleman (friends & family) you can put a slip of paper inside the carton with these instructions and maybe your email for them to send a photo, as well as an explanation of common egg issues such as blood spots and meat spots.

ACV and all the other stuff doesn't prevent anything (nor did you specify what you're trying to prevent). I don't think either has anything to do with the egg issue though.

Maybe they're making excuses because they don't want to buy for some reason, or were hoping for a discount? Weirder things have happened.

If you have a buyer complaint, they should be instructed to take clear photos of the egg(s) in question so you can diagnose the problem. Since you're using a middleman (friends & family) you can put a slip of paper inside the carton with these instructions and maybe your email for them to send a photo, as well as an explanation of common egg issues such as blood spots and meat spots.

ACV and all the other stuff doesn't prevent anything (nor did you specify what you're trying to prevent). I don't think either has anything to do with the egg issue though.
That's a good idea to put instructions in for the customer! It definitely helps when the customer lets us know if they got a bad egg so we can pinpoint the pproblem. I guess I heard a lot about ACV and peppers helping to prevent worms and other stuff..

Back
Top Bottom