Bad Experience w/IDEAL Poultry Hatchery: Normal Occurrence?

I've ordered from Ideal 3 times in the past couple of months. I've been pleased so far. A little disappointed this last time because I was told they were sold out of everything till May 1st. After doing a little research, I guess this is a normal occurrence this time of year. I still placed my order and will receive it in late May. Other than that, I've been pleased so far with the chicks I've received. I plan to order again in the future.

I liked how IDEAL even personally responded to the complaint, and even gave the OP help over the phone. When you ship millions of chicks a year, but will still take the time to respond to a problem with an extremely small order (compared to millions of chicks!), that shows they care!

Just received my first order from Ideal today! Ordered 15...they threw in 9 extra males for warmth and ID'd the breed when I emailed and asked. All were alive and well! And they respond to emails quickly. I am very satisfied!

I have ordered chicks from Ideal Poultry and practically every other hatchery out there and I can tell you that sometimes there are problems with chicks that are out of anyones control.
It is probably true that the chicks were stressed in shipping which can cause just about any problem. Sometimes the birds are mishandled, shaken, chilled or otherwise stressed to the point that they cannot recover. Also sometime people make mistakes that you wouldn't think would hurt the birds but do. Ideal Poultry has been a good resource for me and they keep a huge inventory of different kinds of poultry. I personally have had great luck with them many times and have found them to be honest, reputable and sellers of good stock. When dealing with a living product there are going to be problems from time to time. You don't say whether they replaced the lost chicks or how they handled your problem. I feel confident in saying there is generally nothing wrong with their product and I think it's unfair to give them a black eye on the basis of one experience. I have raised thousands of chicks over a long time of keeping chickens and I can tell you that sometimes they die for no apparent reason. While it is always heart breaking to lose chicks, the reason cannot always be discerned. If you don't want to give Ideal your business again that's up to you but I think you will find that from time to time you will have problems with a batch of chicks no matter who you deal with. If their stock was as bad as you seem to think they would no longer be in business. They replace the chicks when they arrive dead or die within three days so they want them to arrive in great health as much as you do. I would look closely at my brooding operation to see if I could find any potential problems there and if not just chalk it up to experience. I once stressed a batch of chicks by using game bird waterers thinking it would keep the chicks from getting wet like they sometimes do not realizing they weren't getting enough water... fortunately figured it out in time but you can see how stuff can happen. If you want to be more sure of getting chicks in perfect health you could try to find someone who hatches them locally as they would not have to go through shipping, I didn't have a single loss of chicks I hatched myself nor did anyone who got chicks from me.( I don't ship them.) I hope some of this is helpful and good luck with your chicks from now on.

I too have ordered from Ideal and have received the best service...I have ordered two and all my chicks arrived safely and lived a long time until the raccoons got hem...But none of mine were ever sick....I guess if I had a bad experience , I would be upset too, but the staff at Ideal are always willing to help...Contact them and see what they can do.....Just my 2 cents....Good luck....Donna

Hi! I have been ordering chicks from ideal for 15 years and want to say that I have always found them to stand behind their stock. I ordered 50 Russian orloffs and didn't have a single problem with any of them. Also if you lose chicks in a shipment or shortly after arrival they will refund your money or send more chicks. Over the years of purchasing from them and hatching myself I will tell you that an outbreak of coccidia is your worst enemy with any chicks. It is no fault of the hatcher. Some breeds are naturally weaker than others and require optimal care and nurturing to bring along. Some breeds don't do well being raised with other breeds and require isolation. One thing I will say good for hatcheries is that they have taken birds and and made them into producers and sold them to the public for economic and utility use. They don't claim to have show quality stock and there is a difference. That doesn't make them bad, just different. There is a difference in hatchery stock and breeder stock. That doesn't mean there is no place in this world for hatchery stock. The staff at Ideal have always been totally kind and respectful to me, and have tried to address every concern that I have had over the years. Sincerely, April Howington

Hi! I have been ordering chicks from ideal for 15 years and want to say that I have always found them to stand behind their stock. I ordered 50 Russian orloffs and didn't have a single problem with any of them. Also if you lose chicks in a shipment or shortly after arrival they will refund your money or send more chicks. Over the years of purchasing from them and hatching myself I will tell you that an outbreak of coccidia is your worst enemy with any chicks. It is no fault of the hatcher. Some breeds are naturally weaker than others and require optimal care and nurturing to bring along. Some breeds don't do well being raised with other breeds and require isolation. One thing I will say good for hatcheries is that they have taken birds and and made them into producers and sold them to the public for economic and utility use. They don't claim to have show quality stock and there is a difference. That doesn't make them bad, just different. There is a difference in hatchery stock and breeder stock. That doesn't mean there is no place in this world for hatchery stock. The staff at Ideal have always been totally kind and respectful to me, and have tried to address every concern that I have had over the years. Sincerely, April Howington
sing it!!! I love Ideal

Had great experience ordering from them have ordered every year for last 4 years haven't lost a chick yet will be ordering as soon as there online page is back up

Back
Top Bottom