Bad Hen chasing plucking newbies feathers

Jun 25, 2022
Southern California
My Coop
My Coop
HELP PLS. I have a bad hen who is picking on some newbies. She is not the top hen actually more like the bottom or a lone wolf. She doesn't even stay with the flock most times and does her own thing. She doesn't let me pick her up, she is always the last to come in the run because she doesn't stick with the flock and isn't easy to catch. She is accepted by the flock 100% and is not picked on - she is one of my originals. She is just a little different lol. All my other hens love me/us and come when called or when treats are offered. She will come some times but most times is content just being off on her own. She has never been an issue in any way only an annoyance to me as she does not stick to the regularly scheduled programming LOL. Anyway, we brought in 2 new girls and for the most part the flock accepts them and they are still finding their place but no issues except for.....This bad hen of mine who laser focuses in on them and chases after these girls and aims for their back feathers. She is bullying them and they just run around scared. It's so cruel. I was surprised to see her do it. I put the bad hen in chicken jail in another small crate size hardware covered box adjacent to the larger run. I plan to bring her back in at night so she can go in the coop with the others but how long should I continue to put her in chicken jail and should I move her crate to a place other than adjacent to the main chicken run? HELP pls!

Doesn’t sound like a bad hen it sounds like a hen trying to make sure that she doesn’t end up below the new ones at the very bottom of the pecking order. Did you do a period of separation with the new ones in an area where they can see the flock, but no one can get to them?

Doesn’t sound like a bad hen it sounds like a hen trying to make sure that she doesn’t end up below the new ones at the very bottom of the pecking order. Did you do a period of separation with the new ones in an area where they can see the flock, but no one can get to them?
Yes but maybe I let them in too early to the run. All the other hens are fine with them. It is just her causing a ruckus. She is bad in my book lol because she is just a loner who I have no attachment to and now she is plucking and chasing. I get it she might just be protecting her bottom spot but the new girls don't fight back or anything they just run constantly when they see her looking their way. She does this even with free ranging...she will come from across the yard just to chase them. i have started chasing her back or even before she gets to chase and see her laser focused I chase her. I hate to do it but it seems to be helping a bit.

Yes but maybe I let them in too early to the run. All the other hens are fine with them. It is just her causing a ruckus. She is bad in my book lol because she is just a loner who I have no attachment to and now she is plucking and chasing. I get it she might just be protecting her bottom spot but the new girls don't fight back or anything they just run constantly when they see her looking their way. She does this even with free ranging...she will come from across the yard just to chase them. i have started chasing her back or even before she gets to chase and see her laser focused I chase her. I hate to do it but it seems to be helping a bit.
How long were they separated for?

How long were they separated for?
Off and on for over a week. We do supervised free ranging when we integrate newbies. And if we are out late in the yard and one of them jumps into the main coop at night then so be it. They have 2 to choose from. For the most part all is harmonious nothing to write home about...I expect a peck here or there from a hen or two even in our established flock but this is different. When we leave the newbies we will divide them up in the run but lately have been testing out without the divider to see if they work things out. The newbies are just being chased around by this one hen. They thankfully have perches they can escape from her on but still they shouldn't have to be terrified. I just don't know if chicken jail is the best for this bad hen who won't stop and for how long I should jail her and should she be adjacent to everyone or in the barn or garage where no one can see one other.

Back
Top Bottom