Bad infection

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
I am really worried that Joe Black our rooster has MRSA. He got fishing line tightly tangled around his foot about two weeks ago, no idea where he picked it up. We removed the line, and started him on Ciproflaxin and baby aspirin three times a day, and also were soaking his foot in epsom salts and warm water and treating externally with triple antibiotic ointment. and rinsing with a diluted solution of acv and water, or hydrogen peroxide. He later developed a place on his toe that looked like bumblefoot without the scab. That eventually dried up and now he has a sort of scab around his toe, but it keeps weeping nasty yellow pus, then it will dry up and look better, then swell and start draining fluid again. On Saturday we switched him from Cipro to Cephalexin. He showed a big improvement yesterday then today he seems to be backsliding again. I reduced the aspirin yesterday to once, b/c the cephalexin smells so awful that I was afraid he wouldn't eat the food I mixed it in if I had a bunch of medicine in it. The swelling is not only around the wound but also in the bottom of his foot where there was no wound, but I'm sure he must have had some damage from restricted circulation. And I think the aspirin was helping that.

Anyway he has a veterinary appointment tomorrow, but I have no idea what to expect and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this??? Anyone?????

Thanks, but I just wondered if anyone else had any experience with bad foot infections. Probably not., I guess..or
has anyone cured bumblefoot without resorting to surgery? If so how???

Back
Top Bottom