BAD kitty!

cozycritters

Songster
11 Years
Mar 4, 2008
Tucson, Arizona
I love our cat-- she's smart and active and beautiful. She's had a bad habit of jumping up and clawing me when I walk down the halls and she will hunt my three year old. She's half bengal and we've been dealing...

BUT... Now I don't think we can keep Jade-- Kasen (three month old baby) was just sitting on my lap outside (watching the chickens) and she jumped up and grabbed his head with her teeth and claws. It's one thing for her to stalk ME... thank heavens he's not hurt-- just scared.

I know some people will say we should keep her no matter what she's done, but as a mom my priority has to be the safety of my children. She could have seriously hurt him! And she would have if I hadn't seen her jump and pushed her in mid-flight so she missed getting him as badly as she could have.

I'm really upset-- not mad-- very SAD. We've had a bad year with animals and I was hoping we'd have Jade forever...

There was no reason she did what she did. I was petting her and then she jumped at him.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Cats and dogs do need to be socialized with children. We can't expect them to just automatically accept them. Sometimes it takes time. You may have to keep her seaparated from the baby and slowly get her used to him with a lot of supervision.

You say she is half bengal, as in Bengal Tiger? Not a type of domestic cat?

If so, then protect your family. Wild animals are wild animals no matter how habituated they are. Half wild is still wild. The wild will come out.

We did/have-- and she grew up with a baby (two actually) and she's been around our little boys for over a year.

As I said-- she'll hunt me and my three year old... when we had goats she'd jump on them and try to bit their necks. I think her hunting instinct is too strong.

You can't get more supervised than outside with me holding him, sitting on a chair and her on the ground. I didn't stick him in her face or leave him alone with her.

I would approach this situation the same way I would with a dog - Give the cat AWESOME treats when in the presence of the baby. Pets and praise and treats (like real chicken/beef etc). And NEVER leave cat and child unattended/unsupervised. GOOD LUCK! And don't give up yet!

i don't think you will be able to change her behavior after a year. Actually, every cat i've ever owned has had their personality established by the first few weeks. They aren't really trainable the way a dog is.

Were it me, i would rehome her. It's either that or keep her confined and out of the reach of any children.

Considering we were outside and next to my chickens and she chose to attack my baby I'm going to rehome her. As PP mentioned-- she's old enough that not changing her ways pretty much suggests that she's how she's going to be.

For the record-- having her associate my baby with food is the last thing I would do at this point! He already has her teeth marks in his forehead!

Back
Top Bottom