Bad leg on baby chick. Separate or keep with other birds? Advise?

bjw113

Songster
13 Years
May 18, 2010
Pikeville, TN
We purchased 25 chicks last week from Meyer Hatchery and 24 arrived alive (lost one in transit
sad.png
). One of my Plymouth White Rock babies is very small (about half the size of the others) and has a weak right leg. First time at raising chicks so am unsure if she will get stronger or not? My husband and I are wondering if we should make a small area off in the corner for her, so she doesn't have to be with other chicks, where she can get run over, etc. with the other chicks just having fun! She is eating and drinking water and going to the bathroom good, but has a real definitive limp and hobbles around. Will her leg get stronger in time? Any insight from more experienced and wiser chicken lovers?

Sometimes chicks have a joint problem and this sounds a little like that. If you want to give it a few more days or longer, go ahead and seperate it (maybe put a smaller chick in with it for company) You never know...
However the ones I have had with this problem never get better although they live for awhile (weeks ) I have never had one grow to adulthood.
Some will splint the leg, it just has never worked for me. Now I cull those chicks so that they don't suffer over a long period of time just to die.

We had one with the same problem from day 2 when we got her. We got 5 new chicks and she got trapped beneath the other 4 her second night. By morning she couldn't get
up. We figured out they probably tapped her leg underneath her. We put a small box in the brooder with a little jar lid for food and water.We figured she would die. But here it is
4 1/2 weeks later, she is doing fine. She still limps some, I figure she always will and she is smaller than the others, but she has adapted well. I'm glad we made the effort to
nurse her back. Good luck!

Well, my husband has made our little peep a safe space where the other chicks can't harm her. Large enough for her to move around, eat and drink, yet be safe. We'll keep a close eye on her and pray for the best. If anyone else has other suggestions, would love to hear it. Thanks.

If you do seperate it, make sure it has a buddy, maybe another calmer bird. It will not survive long being alone. They are flock animals and being alone is heartbreaking for them.

Back
Top Bottom