Bad leg problems

So I’d say the calcium isn’t a good idea. I know it’s not healthy for drakes or other male birds to have the extra calcium but just wondered if his bones maybe weak. Maybe @Gerty0630 can get some really good pics if his leg and a video of him walking.
I could totally take pics and a video but I’d be lying if I said I knew how to post a video on here lol

This is what I have experienced in the last 7 weeks. My Buff duckling has done great with flock raiser food with brewers yeast sprinkled in. My cayuga has a severe Niacin deficiency. She was about 4 weeks old before I took note of it. She would rock back on her heels, walk only a little, when she did walk she would sit down immediately after reaching her destination. She also was slightly pigeon toed and appeared very clumsy. We started giving her a quarter dropper full of B supplement from GNC once a day. It's loaded with Niacin. Way more niacin than Brewers yeast. For most ducks Brewers Yeast is enough. Others like Maryanne (our Cayuga) need much more. In the last 3 weeks Maryanne is 98% better. I expect for her to make a complete recovery. No more rocking back on her heels or sitting down all the time. If you didn't know what to look for you would think she was 100%. She does not like to be caught and given her medicine, though. Ha!

i know there are so many threads like this. I, myself, have created a couple for this exact duck and this exact reason. It’s hard to watch him so worth another post for more thoughts and ideas for people.
I have an 8 month old pekin or white layer drake (I say this bc I was told he was a pekin at 2 weeks old when I got him but I believe him
To be a white layer). He’s got significant leg problems. When he was a duckling I was new to ducks and I read about niacin but I did not give niacin right away. But I don’t believe this to be a niacin issue. He’s been getting supplemental niacin (brewers yeast on food), plus peas as treats, and liquid b complex on oats. He has issues walking. Some days he tools around relatively fine. Other days he stays laying in the coop the entire day. It’s not bumblefoot i have checked many times. He also throws his wings out when trying to walk as if his legs are giving out and he’s trying to catch himself. I know someone who has a duck with arthritis which may explain some days being better than others for him. Another issue someone on Byc made me aware of was I was feeding him the wrong feed (layer feed since my other duck is female. So now, and for the past couple months he’s gotten all flock feed. Idk if this is a diet thing, a niacin thing, an arthritis thing. What. I feel so bad for him he hardly walks some days. Currently I give him canned salmon for some supplemental vitamin a. Plus liquid b on oats, plus I rub a homeopathic anti-inflammatory and pain relief gel on his legs. Anyone have any input or help??
Diet is really high in protein and I'm thinking he is over weight which puts strain on legs and causes issues. A Finisher food with minimum snacks might help.

Here are some pics and a video!

Attachments

• 0DDC2D58-3188-44DA-9D6F-4809E308393F.jpeg
    0DDC2D58-3188-44DA-9D6F-4809E308393F.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 60A42895-30F5-4641-9D4F-AA3E72B4932C.jpeg
    60A42895-30F5-4641-9D4F-AA3E72B4932C.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 72D6D3DA-4AF4-45D8-8685-5D42533D311E.jpeg
    72D6D3DA-4AF4-45D8-8685-5D42533D311E.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 8
I wonder if it’s his hips. He doesn’t look over weight to me and many of us feed Purina Flocker Raiser with no problems what so ever.? It’s a great feed.?
See why I’m so lost?! Haha. I just ordered some nutritional yeast rather than the brewers yeast I have been using so we’ll see what that does. I’m running out of ideas!

Back
Top Bottom