Bad mites, feet hard as rocks-can't move them? Eyes are swelled?

x2
Those look like dead toes, not scaly leg mites. The toes look normal in size, or even thinner- but look darker black that normal silkie toes. If the toe does not bend at the joint- these are likely frostbitten feet. You need to see if these feet have a blood supply. Bring her and a normal chicken in the house. Feel both the feet- are the affected feet colder than the normal bird? And sorry to ask- but do they smell bad? Like something dead?
You can also trim a toe nail a bit to short and see if it bleeds- a bit mean, but will confirm blood supply or not.

Quote:

Quote:
I Just remembered I helped you with your mite problem on the rescue at the amish farm I believe it was
wink.png
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5137708#p5137708 there is a lot of good information on this thread.

Yes and they are still doing well. I am going to put sand in their run this weekend hopefully! I have been sick for six weeks and am finally better.
sharon

Quote:

I have never seen frostbite but scaly leg mite will also make the toes hard and unable to bend and they also can smell to high heaven so don't rule it out on that.
sharon

I went to Tractor Supply the other day to pick up some stuff. The Ivomec Pour on was $60 and I did not have the money to buy that...BUT they told me to buy the "Ivermectin Pour-On for Cattle" Brand name is "Durvet"? It was $14.99 for an 8.5 fl oz bottle(came in a mostly yellow with red box). Says that it kills roundworms, lungworms, grubs, sucking lice, biting lice, manage mites, horn flies? I just wanted to make sure the dosage is still the same beings that its not what you suggested? I don't have a scale to weigh her but I'd guess she's only 1-2 lbs. Shes very light. She's been eating and drinking great the last couple of days & she's standing much better now. So would I still give her 3 drops? Also how often do I apply? I am going to treat all of my chickens even though I didn't see mites on them. I'm even going to treat the other coops as well as a precaution. What do you recommend I do with the chicks I have in the house? They range from 3-4 weeks to day olds...I haven't seen any mites or eggs on any of them & I check each daily. Thanks so much for EVERYBODY'S help....its SOOOOO appreciated!
grouphug.gif

Quote:

Last edited by a moderator:
UMMMMM. I just read this article again & I noticed that it said these mites can ATTACK HUMANS?!?!?!?! They really attack humans?!?! Can they get on our heads like lice etc. OMG!!!
th.gif
I'm getting grossed out now. I can't believe these things can actually be on humans. I have terminix and they do pest control here inside and out. I'm going to find out if mites are categorized under this...I'm sure they are. Now I'm going to do daily exams of my children. What did I do?....what did I get myself into. I would've NEVER brought her into the house if I'd known. I feel awful now!!!

Quote:
Mite are not a disease there is no weaker bird gets it more then the non weaker bird. the mites she is dealing with suck the vitamins and nutrience right out of the bird causing them to be weak. and lose there will to eat. scaly leg mites are best treated with a petrolium based product this I will agree on. However it only Kills whats on the host at that time. heres an article on northern fowl mites. http://www.varmentguard.com/pestlibrary/NORTHERN%20FOWL%20MITE.pdf
That should helpyou better understand why your birds are weak.

Last edited by a moderator:
when my chickens had mites last summer, they did get on me but they didn't bite, so don't worry about them biting you or your children, but they do feel really gross when crawling around in your hair, but i just washed my hair and that was the end of them.. as far as the stuff you bought I would say you would use it the same way, but don't know if I would treat the wee ones better let someone else weigh in on that. Glad to hear she's doing better too.

No no...they may crawl on you but they don't bite and they don't want to stay. THey are chicken bugs not people bugs. If they get on your arm they are, as someone said on here, "looking for a chicken at the other end!"
sharon

Oh thank god! I was horrified!!! Now what about dosages? All I have is Silkies..some are a little bigger than others but...I just don't wanna overdose them.

Some of the chickens I was treating were small bantam hens... I didn't want to over dose them either so I just put like three drops from a syringe.
61761_img_9901.jpg

61761_img_9903.jpg

This was the tiniest one and she was full grown. You can see how bad she was and this was after several treatments.
sharon

Quote:
3-4 dropsof the pour on you got. Per small breed so if you bird weighs 1-2 lbs use 2-3 drops and repeat in 30 days I suggest 3 drops first round 2 drops second round. On large fowl 5-6 Dropsmake sureyou pull the feathers back and place the drops directly between the shoulders.

Back
Top Bottom