Bad new about crabs

Quote:
yeah...how exactly DO you know they died?....i never see them moving at the pet stores...
idunno.gif

well i lifted it up from the shell and it just fell stright out *plunk* onto the sand.. it smelled like rotting fish.... :and then a teacher of mine had fiddler crabs once.. thats a whole nother story!

Hermit crabs actually require a lot more care than people tend to think. When I had hermit crabs I spent over $50 on a tank and supplies for them and even that wasn't enough.

Generally most hermit crabs you buy on the boardwalk or even at pet stores are sold with those open, screen cages. Those are actually terrible for the crabs. Although it does give them something to climb on, the open sides of the cage let in too much cool, dry air. Remember, hermit crabs are tropical animals. They live where the climate is very warm and very humid.

Hermit crabs should be provided with an under tank heater. I had a five gallon tank, with gravel substrate and I bought a small undergravel reptile heater and stuck it to one side of the tank. That way the crabs were able to go to the other side if they got too hot.

The crabs should also be provided with humidity. I bought a little hygrometer and stuck it to the side of the tank. To raise the humidity, I would spray the crabs and the rest of the tank. The heat from the undergravel heater would evaporate the water and raise the humidity.

They should have a wet sponge from which to drink water, but these sponges should be disinfected on a regular basis. This is done by sticking the sponge in the microwave (Dry sponge only!). They should also be fed a good quality hermit crab food.

Another important thing is the weekly baths. Every week I would take each of my hermit crabs and dunk them in a bucket of luke warm water. The bottom of the bucket was always dirty after the baths, as it would loosen all the dirt and what not in the shells of the crabs. Usually I would leave the crabs in the water for a few minutes or so and they had a good time blowing bubbles and walking around under the water.

In a good environment, hermit crabs can live 15+ years. Generally in the habitats typically sold for crabs, they will live much shorter lives.

SO SORRY I AM SO VERY SORRY I KNOW HOW YOU FELL MY DAUGHTER HAD A HERMIT CRAB AND WHEN IT DIED SHE LOOKED SO SAD AND I BOUGHT HER A NOTHER ON THEN SHE FELT BETTER AND SHE NAMED THE NEW ONE CRABER JR

Last edited:
Thanks all for your posts,

it was a purple pitcher, it was a she, It was a hermit crab.

It might of died from the other one it there.

We are keeping the crab safe it the freeze for when my parents come back from ontario.

Have you seen the little mermaid, her name was the little crab from that movie, I forgot the name.

*Wave* R.I.P crabby, I will always remember you,

Back
Top Bottom