*bad news* Incubating Double Yolker Dies...

I took it outside and cracked it open, it was very well developed and had little yolk left to absorb, it was in a sack thing seperate from the other broken yolk (it probly broke the yolk on accident kicking it or poping it with its beak) it was blackish with feathers and nails and was not deformed.... it was a bantam/amarecuna mix..
hmm.png

I am sorry for the loss of the chick. I get double yolkers from time to time, and am tempted to set the NORMAL eggs from this hen in the hopes it is somewhat heritable- as we like to give double yolkers to friends along with 11 regular eggs in the dozen. I would personally not ever set a double yolker- as there is almost zero chance at getting a normal chick out of it. I know it is kind of like playing bingo or lotto, the excitement of the possibility of success is the entertainment- but I don't like the odds.

Options are 2 infertile yolks & no chicks, one fertile yolk that develops and dies close to hatch due to contamination of a spoiling infertile yolk or the infertile yolk & white ruptures and drowns the living chick, or two fertile yolks- and no room for two developing chicks to develop properly and orient properly to hatch.

The avian egg is an amazing thing- provides everything a chick needs to sustain itself and develop for 21 days. It just doesn't work as well when the recipe gets things added- like an extra yolk!

Quote:
Being nice can go a long ways, sometimes people just don't want to read 7 pages for a simple answer to a question.

X2.

can:)

x3

Back
Top Bottom