Broody chose a HUGE egg 🤔

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Okay so I finally was able to checkon the eggs one of my broody's been sitting on. A lot of them were obviously bad, either complete duds or it had started them quit.

One of the few good eggs that actually has good development and movement is huge. The air sac is on the side of the egg instead of the top, and it's probably twice the size of a normal egg. I don't think it's a double holler, although it could be. But there's definitely a little chick bouncing all around in there. (I only see ONE, but it IS a large egg so possible I missed one).

What do I do?? I've read not to choose oddly shaped eggs or double yolkers for incubating. But the hen chose this one and now it's alive in there. 😭

What's the harm in letting her try to hatch it? I've accidentally set double-yolkers a couple of times and they didn't hatch successfully, but if there's a chance, I would still let a developing egg do its thing.

Best of luck!
I Guess I worry more about if it does hatch and is severely disfigured or something. I'd hate to have to cull a chick. But if I hadn't been meddling I wouldn't have known anyway until it did or didn't hatch. Guess I'll let nature do it's thing

I can understand your trepidation, but a "twin" egg doesn't necessary create a higher risk of deformity for the chicks. What seems to occur more often is that one of the chicks dies before hatching and that can (obviously) be very bad for the other chick that is still growing.

Let us know how it goes. 🙂

Definitely still viable, with movement and all. I went ahead and moved it along with the other remaining eggs to the incubator, after my broody decided 6 chicks was enough and stopped sitting on the remaining eggs lol. (Long story, but in short she'd been sitting for over 4 weeks total, and when my other broody's eggs hatched she seemed heartbroken so I gave her some chicks of her own).

I'm still a bit worried about this one, just because of its size and where the air cell is, and because I'm not 100% sure how long it's been cooking to even know when it might be ready to put into lockdown. Turning it is weird because of it's shape too, so I might be messing that up. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Some pics for reference :) one showing size and where the air cell is. Another of it being candled. I still can't tell if there is more than one, but there's definitely SOMETHING bouncing around in there!

Attachments

• BC149FEB-59E6-44BC-BCD7-9AF7FA9F3854.jpeg
    BC149FEB-59E6-44BC-BCD7-9AF7FA9F3854.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 3703495E-E512-4762-9CF3-7A8587C0F2B0.jpeg
    3703495E-E512-4762-9CF3-7A8587C0F2B0.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 5
It's hard to tell from the photo (seeing both sides would help), but my guess is just one. When I had a DY that was developing two embryos, it looked "full" quickly. The chick will have a better chance of hatching if it's solo...and the blood vessels look good.

The side air cell isn't optimal, so you'll want to watch it carefully when it's near hatching day to make sure the chick doesn't try to internally pip somewhere other than the air cell - it may pip all the way through the shell and get to air, which is best case scenario with a misplaced air cell, but I would monitor it carefully in case assistance is needed.

Best of luck with your hatch!

It's hard to tell from the photo (seeing both sides would help), but my guess is just one. When I had a DY that was developing two embryos, it looked "full" quickly. The chick will have a better chance of hatching if it's solo...and the blood vessels look good.

The side air cell isn't optimal, so you'll want to watch it carefully when it's near hatching day to make sure the chick doesn't try to internally pip somewhere other than the air cell - it may pip all the way through the shell and get to air, which is best case scenario with a misplaced air cell, but I would monitor it carefully in case assistance is needed.

Best of luck with your hatch!
Thanks! I candled last night, and it is FULL. Like, can barely see anything outside the air cell. I'm not even sure how far along it is. But my guess would be it's either 2, so it filled up quickly, or it's just one humongous chick and just about ready to hatch 😬 I could still make out a small amount of movement, but that's about it.

Just wanted to update. Chick didn't make it. She was HUGE but was deformed. Didn't have a vent, and the yolk sac was also huge and coming out In the wrong place. I stopped seeing movement when I candled Monday night, and after confirming again today there was no movement I went ahead and called it. Sure enough she was gone. She wouldn't have survived long even if she did hatch though, obviously, without a vent. 😞
40F06324-944C-48CE-9496-B54D1588CDFD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom