BAD Rooster fight...HELP

DominaPullorum

Songster
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Central Florida
Okay, so.
One of my roosters, Cosmo, had to go to the vet a few days ago, he had a wad of feed stuck to the side of his throat, and it was bad. Today, I put him outside, and SOMEHOW, the door to HIS pen gets open, and my am roo and him hook up. His head is pecked clean of feathers, half of a wattle is gone, his comb is bloody. What i'm concerned about-
1. One of his eyes is completely clouded red, so I assume he'll be blind there.
2. He's having a problem opening the "good" eye.
3. He's not doing much. He'll stand up, but if I pull a wing out he doesn't snap it back in.
I gave him an 81 mg. aspirin, and his injuries are coated with neosporin. I don't know if he just needs some rest, or if there's anything I can do on my end. Please help me..i've delt with this before but it's never been this bad.

Sounds like you are doing a good job, I would not give him too much more aspirin as it is a blood thinner and pain relievers aren't good for animals. Sounds like he just needs rest for a few days, maybe a little flour to dry up any spots that are still bleeding since chickens are attracted to blood and will peck at it. Just my opinion, oh, and make sure the Neosporin does not have pain releif!!

Okay.
Nope, it's just regular neosporin. He's just kinda sitting in his crate now with his wings out just a little. Not unfolded, just out. I hope he'll be okay..

I would make sure he is separated and in a dark place so he can rest. Chickens are resilient creatures and I have had one that endured a serious raccoon attack with no problems except a blind eye. I hope he is ok
hugs.gif

Quote:
He once killed a mole that dug into his coop. I do too, I love this rooster so much. He's almost 4.
I've got him in my bathtub with the heat on (24 degrees outside >_>)

One thing I would make sure of is that he drinks water even if you have to use a dropper and make sure he eats even if it is warmed up feed mixed with a little water. My girl took over a month to eat on her own so be patient!!

My "old man" rooster was attacked by his two sons. They just about killed the old guy. I had to seperate him, keeping him in my sun room in a big nice hay lined cage. He was pampered to be sure. His comb and waddles are completly gone. They were severely bitten and as they healed, just dropped off and didn't regrow. I attempted to introduce him back into the flock, but the two sons beat him up again. Badly. So back into rehab he went. He has healed up now, but I let him out only when I have the other two caged. I rotate time out, three in, three out. So far that schedule has worked. His top part of his beak was broken off, so he only has half of the top left. I hope it will eventually regrow, but until then, he is getting soft scrambled eggs, leftover table foods and will pick at the hens scratch. His weight has really fallen, but he seems to enjoy life anyway.
You may have to work out something simular to what I have done. I am attempting to rehome the old guy, but without his top beak, his comb & waddles, he sure looks ugly. No one would want such a ugly roo, so he may have to just stay with me.
Best of luck
Jan

Back
Top Bottom