Bad rooster? Maybe not...

When the hens went over to peck at them and grab at their feathers, Hank went over, pecked at the hens, and move between them and the chicks. I have since opened the crate and let the chicks come and go in the run. When they are out of the crate, Hank keeps himself between the hens and chicks and keeps the babies safe.
This is a good sign, as long as he allows you to handle the chicks and other birds too, and shows only concern but not any aggression. Sounds like you have a good grasp on the situation and are teaching your daughters to as well. Kudos.

The girls and the other cockerel are quite friendly.
This could cause problems, multiple males can bring out the worst behaviors in all of them due to competition.

How old are all these birds?

How old are all these birds?
They are 19-20 weeks. Hank is about a week older than the others. The other cockerel may be close to week younger than the girls. They all came from TSC I base their ages by size and feather development when I got them.
The boys have not had any problems yet. They established their order at about 4 weeks old and Little Bit doesn't seem to want top spot, yet anyway. We will see.

They are 19-20 weeks. Hank is about a week older than the others. The other cockerel may be close to week younger than the girls. They all came from TSC I base their ages by size and feather development when I got them.
The boys have not had any problems yet. They established their order at about 4 weeks old and Little Bit doesn't seem to want top spot, yet anyway. We will see.
My cockerels all grew up together; bantams and LF.
They established their pecking order long ago.

Back
Top Bottom