bad shaped comb on a buff wyandotte

Richie

Chirping
11 Years
Nov 18, 2008
I bought some buff wyandottes from The Stromberg Hatchery (because I could get them sexed) and, while they are pretty birds, their combs are all wrong. Those that did come with rose combs have the spike on the comb going up instead of down. Their combs look something like the comb on a hamburg, or even higher than that because hamburg combs usually go straight back and wyandottes do not and it is a serious fault. I was very disappointed and I wrote to Stromberg, explaining I cannot show or breed from them, but never received a reply. Just thought I would share incase you are interested in buff wyandottes.

I bought some buff wyandottes from The Stromberg Hatchery (because I could get them sexed) and, while they are pretty birds, their combs are all wrong. Those that did come with rose combs have the spike on the comb going up instead of down. Their combs look something like the comb on a hamburg, or even higher than that because hamburg combs usually go straight back and wyandottes do not and it is a serious fault. I was very disappointed and I wrote to Stromberg, explaining I cannot show or breed from them, but never received a reply. Just thought I would share incase you are interested in buff wyandottes.

This is pretty standard with hatchery birds - if one wants to breed for SOP and/or show their birds then sourcing them from a hatchery is a bad idea. You can still breed these birds for production purposes.

I know I can breed them for production, but I wanted more than that. I had gotten some nice buff Wyandottes from Sand Hill several years ago and they were closer to the standard, but they were straight run and I had the misfortune of getting almost all males. That is a problem for me because I don't eat meat and I won't give them to anyone who does. Buffs are uncommon and difficult to get. I figured I would give STromberg a try..... I would love to get some to breed and to show, but I honestly don't know where. Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom