Badger or Groundhog? (or something else)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dd1026, May 24, 2009.

1. dd1026

dd1026 New Egg

May 24, 2009
    Hi All. New poster here. I found this site while scouring the web trying to figure out what an animal in my yard was. I am not really sure what it is.

The hole it is using (on the very left side of the picture) was once a groundhog hole (saaw the GH in there as late as 3 days ago) but now the animal I see going in and out is the pic I have linked here. It is not the same animal (this almost looks hairless while the GH was decidedly "full fur". I am in NJ and am not really close to water, so I can't think its a muskrat.

Any thoughts or input or ideas would be great. We like the groundhog that was in there (we named her Molly), so I hope this animal didnt kill her or chase her out of her hole...

Thanks

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Sorry I have no idea about the animal. Never seen anything like that. Guess they don't come west often. Good luck with the ID.

Imp thinks its amazing you were able to get close enough for a pix.

3. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    it loks like a groundhog...but wheres it's fur?, it might have mange.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    [​IMG] Yep groundhog .. BUt he has mange or mites they shouldnt be missing there hair like that ...

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    POor guy looks very unhealthy to me..

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

OH! that explains it. Molly went bald. I'm sure there's a really bad joke in there somewhere. [​IMG]

Imp-sells rogaine for groundhogs

Hope you can help her. Good luck.

7. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome and it is a ground hog......but I do believe it is a mangy one. If you have cats or dogs it can be spread to them. So be careful. [​IMG]

8. dd1026

dd1026 New Egg

May 24, 2009
    we thought that maybe it has Scabies (saw a pic of one with scabies and it looked similar to this).. but the weird thing is, it was full of fur not 3 days ago.. (literally - if it's the same one)... and it seems to be acting normal like a typical groundhog does... (foraging, etc)

we'll have to make sure our dog doesnt go near her... not sure what we could do to help it though... it runs everytime we go outside

9. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    [​IMG] Yes, it is a groundhog / woodchuck. It either has mange or is sick, which is why it isn't acting normal. Good call on keeping your dog away from it.

10. dd1026

dd1026 New Egg

May 24, 2009
    but thats just it, she (think its a she) IS acting normal.. looking for food, etc.. how can she lose all her hair in like 2 or 3 days tops?

just weird... wish i figure out how to help her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by