BADGERS ?????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DODALDO, Mar 20, 2009.

1. DODALDO

DODALDO Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    EASTERN COLROADO
    My chicks are only 3 weeks old now and still in the coop.
    Last fall about 2:30 am I was woken by a badger vs. dog (alaska malamute) in my back yard. from what i have read a badger will not only kill what he will eat but they will kill a whole flock and just take a couple to eat?
    Oh as for the dog he has now taken 4 coyotes 1 coon well kinda he kept the coon under the pick up till i shot it, and the badger but the badger is still on the run.
    I guess what I am asking is if there are any BYC'ers
    that have had a badger problem, if so will eletric fence low around pen work for badger???
    thank you

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I'm not sure about keeping them out. I lived in Nebraska for 10 months and I know the farmer where I kept my horses shot and killed every Badger he saw as they made huge holes that could break a horse's leg besides being very mean. I was very happy the day I fell into a Badger hole he was not home or my leg would have been torn to pieces. A strong electric fence might work but it would have to be pretty low to the ground. Other than that I would think fencing buried under the ground so he couldn't dig into your pen would work.

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Oh boy...I've never had a badger problem (yikes!!) but I think electric fencing has a 50/50 chance of working. A badger may just dig right under the fence if it's determined. Or, it may get zapped and take off.

4. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Badgers, badgers, we don't need no stinking badgers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by