BADGERS ?????

DODALDO

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
EASTERN COLROADO
My chicks are only 3 weeks old now and still in the coop.
Last fall about 2:30 am I was woken by a badger vs. dog (alaska malamute) in my back yard. from what i have read a badger will not only kill what he will eat but they will kill a whole flock and just take a couple to eat?
Oh as for the dog he has now taken 4 coyotes 1 coon well kinda he kept the coon under the pick up till i shot it, and the badger but the badger is still on the run.
I guess what I am asking is if there are any BYC'ers
that have had a badger problem, if so will eletric fence low around pen work for badger???
thank you

Last edited:
I'm not sure about keeping them out. I lived in Nebraska for 10 months and I know the farmer where I kept my horses shot and killed every Badger he saw as they made huge holes that could break a horse's leg besides being very mean. I was very happy the day I fell into a Badger hole he was not home or my leg would have been torn to pieces. A strong electric fence might work but it would have to be pretty low to the ground. Other than that I would think fencing buried under the ground so he couldn't dig into your pen would work.

Oh boy...I've never had a badger problem (yikes!!) but I think electric fencing has a 50/50 chance of working. A badger may just dig right under the fence if it's determined. Or, it may get zapped and take off.

Back
Top Bottom