1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Badly Constipated Pullet. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Just_Clucky84, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Just_Clucky84

Just_Clucky84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I have a 4 month old pullet that I think might be severely constipated. The poor girls strains and cries, but not much comes out. Her bottom looks so sore! I've given her a number of epsom salt baths to help keep her bottom clean and it hasn't helped. A website suggested feeding yogurt for probiotics and giving molasses water. This has been going on for about a week.

I've also tried to gently massage the blockage out. I have been able to help pull some of the poop out but it just comes right back. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    I think you have to deal with it like you would with pasty butt. Try using a warm wet wash cloth (or cotton ball) and a Q-Tip (cotton swab) a few times a day..I had a chick with really bad pasty butt, but after doing that a few times it cleared up and he became a healthy rooster!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by