Badly injured hen... need advice

No improvement really. I thought she'd show some signs of improvement by now... like trying to walk around or something like that. She's much more alert but still sleeps all day, still has poor balance and shows no desire to hunt-and-peck. I'm using a syringe to feed small amounts of juice with pureed baby food every couple of hours but now that she's more alert she's also more fiesty and doesn't take it as easily. I tried to offer her some rice earlier and she was definitely not interested. She's also showing signs of pain in her head or neck. She will turn her head in the direction of the bad eye (which opened a little bit yesterday and is turning grey
sad.png
not a good sign) and nearly turns her head all the way around. She'll do it 3 or 4 times in a row as if she's experiencing a sharp pain. Poor thing. Her puncture wound looks ok. Same really. Doesn't smell bad so that's good.

Baby chicks arrived today and are in ear-shot of the hen... was hoping their sounds would perk her up but she doesn't seem to notice. Too bad because her belly is completely bald so I think she was about to go broody before the attack.

Anyway, not really sure what to do next. Maybe just give her a little more time...

Back
Top Bottom