Badly swollen inner eyelid and eye bump

Jitterbuggin

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
My poor baby prairie bluebell, Copperhead, is having some major eye problems šŸ˜­ I canā€™t figure out what is going on and it seems to be getting worse. Her inner eyelid on one side is super swollen. On her other eye, she has a bump. No crusting, scabbing, bleeding, etc. Sheā€™s maybe a little on the weak side right now. She is 5 weeks old. Still in the brooder but off heat. Moving to the coop tomorrow. Pine pellet beddingChick feed with a little chick grit. Has a bunch of friends, but I havenā€™t noticed any bumps/swollen bits on them.

Any ideas?!

I canā€™t lose another chick right now šŸ˜­ lost a few for various reasons over the past couple months and I just canā€™t handle it anymore. šŸ˜­ and copperhead is so dang pretty
0DCCCAFB-5046-44C5-87FD-ED40F7C51309.jpeg
7DA7BB32-0C6D-429E-B181-0E2651AFC829.jpeg

Not sure what's going on with her.
I would start with cleaning the eyes with saline and apply an eye ointment in the eyes like Terramycin to see if that helps.

Do what you can to get her drinking, then offer a wet mash of feed.

You mention losing other birds recently, did they have illness?
If so, then if you lose this one, it would be a good idea to investigate further by sending the body for necropsy so you know what you are dealing with, so you can move forward with a treatment/management plan. https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Could she have been pecked in the eye and eyelids by the other chicks? The right eye almost looks like a cherry eye, a birth defect, which can be treated with surgery, but a peck might cause the conjunctiva to swell. Could mosquitoes get the the chick? The left eyelid bump just looks like a bump, and it could be from pecking, a sting, or who knows what. I would follow Wyorp Rockā€™s advice on treating the eye with the eye ointment, and watch to see if it heals or gets worse.

Not sure what's going on with her.
I would start with cleaning the eyes with saline and apply an eye ointment in the eyes like Terramycin to see if that helps.

Do what you can to get her drinking, then offer a wet mash of feed.

You mention losing other birds recently, did they have illness?
If so, then if you lose this one, it would be a good idea to investigate further by sending the body for necropsy so you know what you are dealing with, so you can move forward with a treatment/management plan. https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Alright, applied terramycin and sheā€™s now isolated from the others (though she is fighting it lol. Already escaped to go find the others twice. I need to contain her differently, apparently haha).

Lost my flock a month and a half ago when a gate was left open and my husky went in without me knowing :( With the newbies, I believe that the first two were crushed (they were tiny and considerably smaller than others. One was a silkie and one had a foot deformity). Then I lost one a couple weeks back after the epic PNW heatwave. She had some really bad pasty butt. Tried to get her better but I failed :( I also have another silkie in isolation because of a leg injury.

So I donā€™t THINK there is something going on, but I could be wrong! Iā€™m having terrible luck. I feel like my chicks are cursed.

I will definitely send her in for necropsy if she passes. Thank you!

Could she have been pecked in the eye and eyelids by the other chicks? The right eye almost looks like a cherry eye, a birth defect, which can be treated with surgery, but a peck might cause the conjunctiva to swell. Could mosquitoes get the the chick? The left eyelid bump just looks like a bump, and it could be from pecking, a sting, or who knows what. I would follow Wyorp Rockā€™s advice on treating the eye with the eye ointment, and watch to see if it heals or gets worse.
My first thought was cherry eye, too! Hopefully it is just a peck. We donā€™t have many mosquitos around right now, but I suppose one could have gotten her. Treating with terramycin now.

Do you notice if the others are picking at those swellings?
You may want to at least cage her where she can see the others or give her time with them during the day.
It's stressful to be separated.
Hopefully the ointment will help.

I'm sorry to hear about your previous troubles, that must have been heartbreaking.

Do you notice if the others are picking at those swellings?
You may want to at least cage her where she can see the others or give her time with them during the day.
It's stressful to be separated.
Hopefully the ointment will help.

I'm sorry to hear about your previous troubles, that must have been heartbreaking.
Sheā€™s been separated for five days now. Getting worse :(

Chicken is getting worse :( I had to leave town for five days. My boyfriend was watching the chickens and didnā€™t remember where I put the ointment šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø The growth thing covers her entire eye.

one other chick died (donā€™t know why - found her deep in bedding). None show any symptoms or eye issues.

going to treat it now that Iā€™m backā€¦ but Iā€™m definitely worried Iā€™ll have to go theā€¦ broomstickā€¦ route, even though sheā€™s acting like a normal chicken other than her poor eye :(

Chicken is getting worse :( I had to leave town for five days. My boyfriend was watching the chickens and didnā€™t remember where I put the ointment šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø The growth thing covers her entire eye.

one other chick died (donā€™t know why - found her deep in bedding). None show any symptoms or eye issues.

going to treat it now that Iā€™m backā€¦ but Iā€™m definitely worried Iā€™ll have to go theā€¦ broomstickā€¦ route, even though sheā€™s acting like a normal chicken other than her poor eye :(
I'm sorry! :hugs

Hopefully with you back and tending to the eye a couple of times a day it will start to heal.

Back
Top Bottom