Baffled by lack of eggs, Age? Karma?

Jerseys in NOLA

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 5, 2010
I have 2 Jersey Giants that I acquired from a friend in June 2010. They are 3 yrs and 3.5 yrs old respectively. After their transition to my home and a breif acclimation, they began laying again with some regularity (approx 3-4 eggs per week total). All was well until late August - early September. No eggs since.
According to my friend, both chickens were healthy and regular producers when I acquired them.
I live in New Orleans: warm summer and very pleasant October weather, They have a coop and free range in a small 1500 square ft. yard. I have scoured the area and no eggs are hidden. I feed them a regular diet of Purina Layena, sometimes scratch but rarely.

Are they too old to produce or can their be another reason? Their life is very consistent and I am not aware of any factors that could cause stress.
As I am now attached to them as pets, they will live a content life. Am I connected to these ladies for the next 5+ years with no omelets??????

J in NOLA

Try putting them under lights for 16 hours per day. That should do the trick. You can get a solar light for around $40 at a hardware store. They are very easy to mount also.

Thank you. I had heard short daylight affects egg laying although there seemed to be plenty of daylight in early September this far South. I will try your suggestion. At their age (3-3.5) should they be producing eggs? What is the expected egg period for Jersey Giants?
FYI. I believe they were purchased from your hatchery.

J in NOLA

At that age they should be laying at least an egg or two a week and I doubt that being so far south the amount of light would be that much of a factor yet. I suspect they may be in some sort of moult--this generally occurs for spring birds that begin laying in the fall months--it is a kind of annual thing. Give them a month or two and they should be laying again.

Woodmort:
Thanks so much for your advice.
1 or both did moult sometime in late Sept b/c feathers were everywhere. Is there a period of post moult that they recuperate?
I wouldn't expect too many eggs during our winter (Dec-Feb), is this correct?
I appreciate your tip of expected eggs (1-2 per week). How old do you think Jerseys stop laying altogether?

Back
Top Bottom