Bag potatoes... any one use them

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by porkchop48, Dec 19, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I am already planning the garden for next year. I have seen a couple places where people grow their potatoes in bags and then just bust them open at harvest time instead of having to dig them up.

Has any one tried this?

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    No, but it sounds like a good idea.

3. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

I red somewheres long ago about letting them heal over once you cut them in half for a day or so before planting. not sure if this is to give more rooting surface or just to let the inner part of the seed touch good earth and not have to fight breaking the skin?

4. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Haven't tried it but lots of people are doing it and they seem to like it. I always wanted to try it, maybe next year!

5. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Gardenweb is a great resource for this kind of information. It's a collection of forums just like BYC with real people sharing real gardening experiences. There's folks that grow potatoes in bags and I've read of some growing them in tires and stacked bins. A different forum for just about every aspect of gardening you can imagine [​IMG] z

6. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    We used them once. They did produce a few potatoes, but not enough to last us a week. We used 2 bags. We gave them to DH's parents and they used them. They got the same results. It would take alot of bags if you want a lot of potatoes.

7. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    Quote:Healing over allows the cut surface to dry. If not they are prone to rotting once planted. If you can't wait, dust them in sulphur powder prior to planting. that helps somewhat. But it is best to allow them to dry for a least a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by