baking bread

This recipe is from my Great Grandmother (who I bet got it from her Great Grandmother). My Mom can't make these rolls, they always come out like hockey pucks.
lol.png
Mine come out soft and fluffy. ((BRAG
tongue.png
))

55 Minute Rolls
1C warm milk
2T melted lard (I imagine shortening would work)
3C All purpose flour
1/4t salt
2 yeast cakes (dissolved in warm water, I use about a 1/4-1/2C )

Mix and let rise 15 minutes. Knead, make into rolls and brush with melted butter*. Let rise 40 minutes.
Bake 15 minutes at 400

*I always dip any sides of the dough roll that will be touching another dough roll in butter as well.

Hi All,
I'm new, someone just gave me some friendship bread last week! I think i need to do the final steps tomorrow or saturday. Has anyone ever made it before? or heard of it? I guess it's an Amish thing. All i know is that I add some ingredients and then I can split it into 4 seperate containers, make 1 of the batches for ourselves and then you're supposed to pass on the other 3 to friends. I hope it's good enough to pass on......

Katy, that's definately possible. I baby sat for that family like 19 yrs ago, and G-Grandma is still alive.

Bread machines: I had one and gave it away because I didn't use it very often it just sat on the counter and gathered dust. The loaves never turned out the best either. Now that I've had plenty of practice making bread I really have no time for the bread machine.

Re: "Friendship bread".... I never heard it called that but when we were living on our sailboat and cruising in really out-of-the-way locations, sailors used to share sourdough starter. We'd be in areas where any stores were few and far between or didn't even sell bread (like some Bahamas out-islands and the remote islands off Venezuela) and keep a starter "mother" going, and share it with other cruisiers. Sometimes people would name them!!! "Here is some of 'Bob'. He came originally from Janet on s/v Windsong, 3 years ago in the San Blas Islands of Panama." It was pretty cool to keep the starter going across time and oceans. Plus it made great bread!!

Last edited:
Quote:
We know that as Amish Friendship Bread. After awhile you start to wonder why you ever consider the person who gave you some a friend when it takes over your kitchen!!

Back
Top Bottom