Baking for the Home

SuperChix

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 15, 2012
Harmony NC
Forgot how good these were and easy to make, it was my Mother-in-law's Lillian, her Mother Sarah's recipe...Posted this here cause they taste so great with fresh fried eggs....made these this morning....Lillian was the most beautiful Christian lady and an awesome cook, just thought I would share...enjoy...a novice can make these she gave me this recipe when i was 19....

thumbsup.gif

1 cup milk scalded and cool to 105 deg
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tbs yeast
let set 5 minutes

add
1/2 stick melted butter
2 3/4 to 3 cups unbleached flour "she noted do not use bread flour"
1 tsp salt
Mix well to make a heavy batter....melt a little more butter and pour over top...let rise covered with a damp towel
or 50 minutes until doubled
on a floured board add just as little flour as you can to knead....it took only a handful...knead lightly, less than 3 minutes this was ready for me
roll out dough, cut into 3 inch rounds, let rise on greased pan or waxed paper...let rise 30-40 min
do not over proof or muffins will fall when fried....it actually only took 20 min for me I warmed the oven

slightly grease frying pan....I used my copper bottom stainless steel one it worked great...on moderate heat....3/4 way between low and medium....heat pan fry 5-7 minutes until bottom is golden brown turn over and cook 5 more minutes....when the sides spring back and don't indent they are done.....they turned out perfect....

Back
Top Bottom