Baking Soda/Vinegar ratio for Euthanasia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with using CO2 for culling is because the chemoreceptors that detect levels of carbon dioxide. The body knows when it is suddenly experiencing hypercapnic hypoxia (high CO2, low O2), and triggers a panic response that includes hyperventilation in an attempt to correct the situation. The animal will lose consciousness eventually, but such a death isn't pain free, if you can imagine the sensation of not being able to breathe.

And freezing? For euthanasia, that is about as barbaric as they come. They don't fall asleep. They live as the water in their cells begin to freeze and crystallize, which is horribly painful. Have you ever gotten frostbite on your fingers? It is incredibly painful.

I am so glad I have my sweet husband who does this for me. He does all the culling that needs to happen around here. He usually just snaps their necks and it is over with quickly.

Just a word of caution from a retired (20 years) animal control officer who found this out just recently.... With common sense going out the door as far as animals are concerned, along with it went the idea that freezing could be an acceptable form of euthanasia for cold blooded animals and VERY young warm blooded ones. It is now considered "cruelty" by the Veterinarians Standards, and I know this because a local dog breeder was going to pup a newborn pup in the freezer and got told he could be up on felony charges (my thought is it would be nice if someone would TELL you when old "common practices" are suddenly "cruel". My dad was in the Navy "back in the day" and as a pilot they had to train in freezing weather for survival, etc, and his opinion is that freezing to death (quickly) is one of the more pleasant ways to go as you just get sleepy. But, you know, new world order and all, and the people telling us how to manage our animals these days don't even own them or use them (or have any practical experience) so there yah go.

(And, while my soap box is still warm, I'll also say that "if you can't cull - don't breed" but that's just one woman's opinion I guess.

Anyway, sharp ax and solid ground is one humane way. Sorry you have to to cull, it is NEVER a good time.

Quote:
I did build one of these, and will be using it here shortly. I cant thank you enough for this link!Thank you for your kindness:)

Quote:
This method worked very well. He didnt peep or move around. He slowly dozed off,then went to bed.VeryVery peaceful. I built a nice one so I can use it again if I need to.Hopefully I wont.

Quote:
Well I'm happy your dad learned how to survive in freezing temps back in the day, and his military service is admirable. But you said it yourself: it was a TRAINING exercise. Not true life or death. So pardon me stepping up on my soapbox to say that I have endured frostbite and have seen/read stories of people who came close to dying in the cold of hypothermia, freezing, etc, and they didn't seem to have a pleasant sleepy experience at all. This is an animal. It could take an hour, if it is wrapped in a towel, to slowly freeze to death. Anyone who has brooded chicks know that they get obviously very uncomfortable and cry constantly if their brooder gets too chilly, much less frozen solid. I just personally don't agree with the practice. I am not into what you call "new world order", I am just into treating animals, especially those injured or suffering, with as much humanity as I can muster. I am all for the "cull" aspect if it is needed, but there are better and quicker methods such as you yourself mentioned in your last sentence.

I use starting fluid spray. It contains ether. We use a large butter container, line it with paper towels. Spray 2-3 cotton balls with the spray. Put the chick and the cotton balls in the container and close the lid tightly. It only takes a few minutes and they just go to sleep. I can't cut off their heads with scissors... This method has worked very well when we have to do the deed.

Quote:
Tequila always works for me. It sounds like it worked for you too, Junkmanme, if you were willing to chase it with vinegar and baking soda. Yuk! Doesn't sound like a nice way to kill birds though. Get a nieghbor to snip their heads off if it bothers you. CO2 is akin to drowning.

I can't say either way on what to do or how I do it, but I will say this. The sooner the better. Never mind trying to fix them. The longer you wait the less fragile they are. Get it over with!

You can also avoid the trauma for you and them if you don't help them out of the shell. Sure some might be fine but my experience is most have problems. This is also the experts advice (Don Schrider, ALBC). While there in the shell a little chill is all it takes.

I wish everyone stress free chicken keeping,

Rancher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom