bald and bleeding wing

Tlw20202013

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 4, 2014
My one year old golden buff hen has been over mated by our blue cochin rooster and her wing is now raw and bleeding. I am not sure if I should wash it or if I should just put some vaseline on it. She has also started multing. I'm not sure if she will grow back these feathers this time around though.

Any time there is an open wound it's a good idea to flush it well. You can use water, saline, betadine, chlorhexidine is good, anything to wash it out. Then apply Neosporin. They usually heal up pretty quickly. I would definitely keep her away from the rooster and let her heal.

Any time there is an open wound it's a good idea to flush it well. You can use water, saline, betadine, chlorhexidine is good, anything to wash it out. Then apply Neosporin. They usually heal up pretty quickly. I would definitely keep her away from the rooster and let her heal.
Thank you so much. I will do that and keep her separated.

She should grow them back when she molts. You could put a hen saddle on her to protect her back, if she's the rooster's favorite gal. Believe it or not, hens will wear those saddles and they look cute and comfortable. Look in the sale section, and members here make and sell them very reasonably.

I don't think, in my humble opinion, that I would use vasceline on the wound. It seems like that would make it sticky, and then with chickens, even more dirt will stick to the wound. I use a spray called Blue Cote. It seems to work well, although I have to say I've had very few wounded birds.

Also, something to consider might be trimming those spurs on your rooster, if they're getting real long. You can look that up on U-tube, and they can show you exactly how to do it.

Good luck with your hen!

She should grow them back when she molts. You could put a hen saddle on her to protect her back, if she's the rooster's favorite gal. Believe it or not, hens will wear those saddles and they look cute and comfortable. Look in the sale section, and members here make and sell them very reasonably.

I don't think, in my humble opinion, that I would use vasceline on the wound. It seems like that would make it sticky, and then with chickens, even more dirt will stick to the wound. I use a spray called Blue Cote. It seems to work well, although I have to say I've had very few wounded birds.

Also, something to consider might be trimming those spurs on your rooster, if they're getting real long. You can look that up on U-tube, and they can show you exactly how to do it.

Good luck with your hen!

Agreed on both counts - flush and dress the wounded area and then address the cause by trimming spurs and/or employing the use of hen saddles for protection.

Back
Top Bottom