Bald baby button quail????

WhiteCollarWeezy

Positive Chick
Premium Feather Member
Sep 13, 2022
Central Arkansas
Our buttons hatched and this lil guy...well he hatched kinda bald...I didn't help him hatch...and none of the others are balding..??? He is strong and healthy. Haven't seen any of the others picking on him. Anybody seen this in button quail?

Attachments

• 20230505_162600~2.jpg
    20230505_162600~2.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 108
Our buttons hatched and this lil guy...well he hatched kinda bald...I didn't help him hatch...and none of the others are balding..??? He is strong and healthy. Haven't seen any of the others picking on him. Anybody seen this in button quail?
It might be from his feathers not fully developing in the egg or him hatching earlier than normal. However that's quite weird that that would happen. As long as he is eating, drinking and acting normal he should be fine.

It might be from his feathers not fully developing in the egg or him hatching earlier than normal. However that's quite weird that that would happen. As long as he is eating, drinking and acting normal he should be fine.
Ty for the positive advice. Truly appreciated. he hatched normally with 25 siblings. just a lil smaller.

I expect that the feathers just didn't finish developing in the egg. I have had some hatch with very little down on them and they ended up feathering out just fine. As long as they have plenty of protein in their feed and there isn't something wrong internally with this little one, in a few days I suspect you may not be able to tell it from the others.

Keep an eye on it just in case there is something wrong internally, but I wouldn't worry about it unless it doesn't feather up in a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom