Bald Patch on Duckling

3xhhheather

Crowing
May 8, 2020
Finger Lakes, NY/5B
One of our three Black Swedish ducklings (who is also a bit pigeon-toed) has a little bald patch on her chest. We found it this afternoon after they went for a swim and it was not there yesterday. She's only a week old, so could it be feathers? We looked and didn't see any mites or other little buggies crawling around, haven't witnessed any picking, and it doesn't appear to be irritated or red. Just a bit curious as to what could be going on, any thoughts?
IMG_4380.jpg

Some of our duckling had bald spots on their chest also. I would see them after they would get out of the water and groom themselves and would pick at their chest that looked bald from doing so. All the adult feathers have been filling in nicely, so I figured it was a normal things ducklings do while their adult feather grow in. :confused:

Have you got your duckling on any form of niacin? As for the bald place they can loose down and it make them look strange but it’s normal. When she’s not wet can you tell down is missing. Sure is adorable! https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

I've been adding nutritional yeast and dried kelp to their food daily (also all the peas their little heart's desire). She's been a bit pigeon-toed since the day we got her from the post office, should I be adding anything else?

When she's dry she just looks like a lil fluff ball :D not hint at the bald patch.

Some of our duckling had bald spots on their chest also. I would see them after they would get out of the water and groom themselves and would pick at their chest that looked bald from doing so. All the adult feathers have been filling in nicely, so I figured it was a normal things ducklings do while their adult feather grow in. :confused:

Good to know! First-time duck mom so anything "new" is like a code red to me 😬

Welcome to BYC 3xhhheather, Newbie here also. I have learned so much new valuable info from this Forum.........Great Place for us Newbies, Lots of knowledgeable members who are more then willing to jump in and help us with our questions...... Priceless ! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom