Bald patch & wound on lower breast (pictures) - Please Help!

treschic

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 28, 2014
Hi everyone,

Today I discovered my beautiful hen has a bald patch and dark red wound (it is not open, seems to be like a scab) under her left breast. It took me a while to find out because it was so well hidden. I feel that it started off small, but was made far worse by her constant scratching (with her left foot) and pecking.

After reading forums online, this is what I did: Washed the area with water, then a warm Iodine/water solution (using Betadine). Then I bought a 0000 baby tank top to stop her from reaching the area. PS: We don't have neosporin in Australia, any suggested alternatives?

I also bought yoghurt to mix with her pellets, apparently the probiotics help with healing and general health. Do you guys have any more advice?

As for possible causes, my hens recently went through a non eating phase (they refused to eat anything but the colourful seeds in layer mix). I think she missed out on the colourful seeds (quickly gobbled down by her sister) and as a result started pecking at her feathers. Thankfully they are now on layer pellets which they are enjoying, when wet with a bit of water.

Last edited:
Check her thoroughly for mites & lice. I don't think a diet deficit would cause this. Sounds like you did the right thing with treatment so far.
smile.png

Thanks! I would like to think there are no lice/mites involved - I clean their coop every two days (we use river sand and then scoop up the poop in it, then top up the sand). I probably to a massive clean down once every few weeks.

Maybe I should rub her with some dichotomous earth though... just to be safe?

Back
Top Bottom