1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bald patch & wound on lower breast (pictures) - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by treschic, Sep 28, 2014.

1. treschic

treschic Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2014
    Hi everyone,

Today I discovered my beautiful hen has a bald patch and dark red wound (it is not open, seems to be like a scab) under her left breast. It took me a while to find out because it was so well hidden. I feel that it started off small, but was made far worse by her constant scratching (with her left foot) and pecking.

After reading forums online, this is what I did: Washed the area with water, then a warm Iodine/water solution (using Betadine). Then I bought a 0000 baby tank top to stop her from reaching the area. PS: We don't have neosporin in Australia, any suggested alternatives?

I also bought yoghurt to mix with her pellets, apparently the probiotics help with healing and general health. Do you guys have any more advice?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for possible causes, my hens recently went through a non eating phase (they refused to eat anything but the colourful seeds in layer mix). I think she missed out on the colourful seeds (quickly gobbled down by her sister) and as a result started pecking at her feathers. Thankfully they are now on layer pellets which they are enjoying, when wet with a bit of water.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Check her thoroughly for mites & lice. I don't think a diet deficit would cause this. Sounds like you did the right thing with treatment so far.[​IMG]

3. treschic

treschic Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2014
    Thanks! I would like to think there are no lice/mites involved - I clean their coop every two days (we use river sand and then scoop up the poop in it, then top up the sand). I probably to a massive clean down once every few weeks.

Maybe I should rub her with some dichotomous earth though... just to be safe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by