Bald spot, broody and docile

Hens1952

Songster
7 Years
Nov 1, 2016
Andover, MA
One of my ladies seems to have a bald spot and a comb that has gotten a bit smaller. She has been broody for two days in a row and when I moved her she was very docile which is not normal for her. I can pick her up, move her wings and she shows no resistance. She stands fine when I pick her up and place her on her feet - seems to prefer to curl up and ‘nest’ on the dirt bottom of my coop. Thoughts?

Are you certain this hen is broody? How old is she? Has she been broody before? Where is the bald spot on her body? When was the last time she laid an egg?

Is there a discharge coming from her vent? I'm wondering if she may be having a reproductive issue other than going broody.

A year old - regular layer. I needed to remove her from the nest two days in a row. No discharge. Bald spot behind her comb - see attached.
2FF53E93-A58D-4B6C-BE18-CA6CACFA4656.jpeg

Looks like someone pulled out the feathers on the back of her head.
Sometimes it happens when a rooster mates with a hen repeatedly, sometimes the other hens do it.

The feathers will grow back (although they could get pulled out again.)

Comb being smaller and less red is common when hens are broody, or when they molt, or any time they are not laying eggs.

I don't know about being docile--hens do act differently when broody, but it's more common for them to ruffle their feathers and growl at people. Maybe it's normal for your hen when she's broody, or maybe there is something wrong; I don't know about that.

Back
Top Bottom