Bald spot on Hen

CPT

Songster
Sep 19, 2017
Star, Idaho
Hello there!

This is something that I have noticed over the last few months.....I knew that one of my Barred Rock Hens was mounted several times by our rooster and she is balding on the back. I figured her feathers would grow back, but that's not the case now. She has a few pin feathers coming in, but not fast enough. The weather is getting colder and wondering if I should separate her from the rest of the flock? She spends most of her time on the top shelf in the coop; ( we have some old shelves in the coop that they can roost on, in addition to a rod and nesting boxes) she barely comes down to eat and drink, but manages to get down once in a while if the rooster is not in there during the day. She likes staying on the top shelf because it's close to the heat lamp and gets her warm quickly. Wondering what to do? She is really sweet and tame, and I bring her up to the house sometimes and she sits in my lap. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
IMG_5051.JPG
IMG_5050.JPG
IMG_5048.JPG

Not much you can do. My hens went through the winter like that. You can get her a hen saddle to keep her warm (neutral color like brown or black so she doesn’t stand out as a colorful snack). When she molts again they will grow in, its a long wait but it will happen!

Your girls back looks very red and irritated, I'd buy her a saddle to prevent your rooster from causing more damage.
How many hens do you have for your rooster? And do you have enough space? You need to make sure no one is over mated again.
To speed up the growth of her feathers I would feed Feather Fixer (I personally love this feed, it works so well!) and keep the rooster away from her until you buy her a saddle.

That could be the case, but my hen had the same exact coloring when she was being over mated. The poor thing hated to be touched, after I started feeding the FF feed her feathers were all back in 2 months.

That could be the case, but my hen had the same exact coloring when she was being over mated. The poor thing hated to be touched, after I started feeding the FF feed her feathers were all back in 2 months.
I should get some of that feed... not having a problem now but last winter was TERRIBLE.

Last winter was probably the slowest molt my chickens have ever went through. I decided to try the FF feed this year before their molt and I am so glad I did; their plumage is more shiny than it has ever been before!

Back
Top Bottom