Bald spots on everyone but one

hilltopchicks77

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2016
Hey! I was worried my chickens have mites .4/5 have bald spots, including the rooster. 1 hen does not. I’ve treated twice (coop and chickens) with peremethin 10. They have plenty of space etc but I’m wondering now if she’s feather picking? Would that maybe explain why she’s fine and everyone else had bald spots? I included photos of her vent area (the not bald one) in case anyone sees something I don’t and can help me figure out what to treat with.

Attachments

• 11A380F7-F0AE-4F32-AECA-919F603CFDB6.jpeg
    11A380F7-F0AE-4F32-AECA-919F603CFDB6.jpeg
    401.1 KB · Views: 37
  • B906487A-BF61-48A5-AFB1-8F3642DD0F30.jpeg
    B906487A-BF61-48A5-AFB1-8F3642DD0F30.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 35
Have you been spraying them? If you have treated them in 7 days intervals with something like Permethrin, then I would treat them any more unless you see bugs.

Feather loss can be from number of things. You have a rooster, so mating will naturally wear off feathers in time.
I didn't say that you have a broody hen - the loss looks like a broody patch. It's not uncommon for hens to pluck feathers from that area. I don't really see any irritated skin, it's nice and smooth just like a broody patch.
It was permethrin 10. I mixed according to the directions and did them twice 7 days apart and the coop and the ground in the run.

Have you been spraying them? If you have treated them in 7 days intervals with something like Permethrin, then I would treat them any more unless you see bugs.

Feather loss can be from number of things. You have a rooster, so mating will naturally wear off feathers in time.
I didn't say that you have a broody hen - the loss looks like a broody patch. It's not uncommon for hens to pluck feathers from that area. I don't really see any irritated skin, it's nice and smooth just like a broody patch.

The other have red/bald spots. I haven’t found anything crawling on them. In fact she has the worst vent area minus the bald spots.
And I forgot the first part they have a 20x10 run and 6x8 coop with double roosting bars. Only 5 chickens in there (1 roost 4 hens). We have been building a new coop and run next to this one and we have chicks in a third pen. Not sure if stress is causing her to pick everyone. She’s def top of the hen pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom