Bald spots on everyone but one

Loss of feathers on the head is likely due to rooster mating.

On the chest, they are probably plucking out their own feathers, could be from rubbing on roosting bars. Skin is nice and smooth, doesn't look irritated, so probably doing it themselves, like a broody patch.

On the chest, they are probably plucking out their own feathers, could be from rubbing on roosting bars. Skin is nice and smooth, doesn't look irritated, so probably doing it themselves, like a broody patch.
The rooster has it on his legs too and above his vent

And no ones been broody. We’ve never had mites before I just assumed based on symptoms but now I’m questioning it. I don’t want to keep spraying them with chemicals for no reason.

Have you been spraying them? If you have treated them in 7 days intervals with something like Permethrin, then I would treat them any more unless you see bugs.

Feather loss can be from number of things. You have a rooster, so mating will naturally wear off feathers in time.
I didn't say that you have a broody hen - the loss looks like a broody patch. It's not uncommon for hens to pluck feathers from that area. I don't really see any irritated skin, it's nice and smooth just like a broody patch.

Have you been spraying them? If you have treated them in 7 days intervals with something like Permethrin, then I would treat them any more unless you see bugs.

Feather loss can be from number of things. You have a rooster, so mating will naturally wear off feathers in time.
I didn't say that you have a broody hen - the loss looks like a broody patch. It's not uncommon for hens to pluck feathers from that area. I don't really see any irritated skin, it's nice and smooth just like a broody patch.
It was permethrin 10. I mixed according to the directions and did them twice 7 days apart and the coop and the ground in the run.

Do you keep them penned up with metal fencing?
How do your feeders look and the water dispenser?
How wide and tall is the pop door for your chickens?

If you suspect the hen with fluffy butt to be the culprit, you might want to observe them for longer periods of time during the day and maybe even install a coop camera, to see if the suspected feather pecking takes place while tey are still in the coop.

Do you keep them penned up with metal fencing?
How do your feeders look and the water dispenser?
How wide and tall is the pop door for your chickens?

If you suspect the hen with fluffy butt to be the culprit, you might want to observe them for longer periods of time during the day and maybe even install a coop camera, to see if the suspected feather pecking takes place while tey are still in the coop.
They’re in a chain link kennel. There’s no roof so they do fly out and free range when they want. Water and food bowls are 12 qt I think rubber horse bowls. No one guards them that I’ve seen. The door is 12”x18” and they seem like they get in and out without scraping.

They’re in a chain link kennel. There’s no roof so they do fly out and free range when they want. Water and food bowls are 12 qt I think rubber horse bowls. No one guards them that I’ve seen. The door is 12”x18” and they seem like they get in and out without scraping.
I would think the chain link kennel might be responsible for some of the feather loss, as they will stick their heads as far as they can get it through the fence and rub their breast feathers off while doing so.

Does the non scraping also apply for the rooster?

I would think the chain link kennel might be responsible for some of the feather loss, as they will stick their heads as far as they can get it through the fence and rub their breast feathers off while doing so.

Does the non scraping also apply for the rooster?
I watched him this morning and he doesn’t seem to be rubbing his legs on the door. The rest of it I can explain but that one is a bit weird. Could be molting too? It looks similar to the girls just red spots not blood or mites etc

Back
Top Bottom