BALK! I am a Chickens Gmom and glad to be in such a informative group! Hello

RudiesGma

Hatching
Jul 21, 2019
Hi Ive had 6 Rhode Island Reds for about a year. My Grandsons Father let me keep them AFTER They moved out for a few months because I Love them! Now that they have settled into their new house the girls have a bigger and better coup. HOWEVER their new puppy bit the New rooster and he has a gaping cut that is exposing his crop entirely! Rudie seems almost normal/fine other than this. My daughter and I have read a few articles about how to stitch this wound but need any advice you may be able to help us with! The crop is completely exposed and he is eating and pooping ( it's been 3 days) and doing fine but again his crop is exposed and now its time to take some action. He allows her to clean it with no problem but the crop has hard and soft digested food falling out and other than cleaning it and trying to figure out which route to take, with steri strips, gauze, to cover, or taking a chance and attempting to close the outside skin. (stitches or glue) without infection or causing more problems. I would say its a center slice about 2 inches and a protuding crop that I dont believe is punctured or maybe it is? Again he seems really pretty good and is visiting the other RIReds he is young and the only rooster. Really need any advice!

If food is falling out then the crop itself is damaged. You have to repair both layers - crop and skin - separately. If you close the skin and the crop is still leaking then food will escape and be caught under the skin, which will lead to infection and possibly starvation, or both. You can suture it, or use super glue to close the crop. You need to flush everything out really well first, make sure it's as clean as possible. I would repair the crop and leave the skin open until you are sure the crop is closed. Then you can close the skin. I'd leave a small gap at the bottom for drainage in the skin. If you search for 'crop surgeries' or 'crop injuries' you will find some threads that may help. If there is any sign of infection, then an antibiotic might be necessary. You can get amoxicillin online as 'fish mox' and you can get injectible penicillin G procaine at Tractor Supply.

If food is falling out then the crop itself is damaged. You have to repair both layers - crop and skin - separately. If you close the skin and the crop is still leaking then food will escape and be caught under the skin, which will lead to infection and possibly starvation, or both. You can suture it, or use super glue to close the crop. You need to flush everything out really well first, make sure it's as clean as possible. I would repair the crop and leave the skin open until you are sure the crop is closed. Then you can close the skin. I'd leave a small gap at the bottom for drainage in the skin. If you search for 'crop surgeries' or 'crop injuries' you will find some threads that may help. If there is any sign of infection, then an antibiotic might be necessary. You can get amoxicillin online as 'fish mox' and you can get injectible penicillin G procaine at Tractor Supply.

Thank You So much for the advice! We are about to schedule the procedure. Rudie is still doing fine and we dont want to wait until he's hungry or sick. Again Ty!

Back
Top Bottom