banana skins for ducks, chickens and geese

Bird Worrier

Songster
6 Years
Dec 31, 2017
Banana skins (organic) have a lot of nutritional benefts and my birds love them. I let them set to get soften a bit then I chop them up to an almost oatmeal consistency. I was so delighted to have another source for a nutritious treat. But now their coops have an off odor. I may cut way back on the amount that I dose for them but I’m afraid it will still make their poop smell bad. Before feeding banana skins, odor really wasn’t an issue. Do you have any advice on keeping odor at bay in coops?

Odor issues usually come from dirty bedding not being taken care of in a timely manner or lack of ventilation. You said it's an off smell, and it wasn't there before you started feeding them banana peels. That's interesting. What do you use for bedding?

There's a product called Stall Fresh, I believe. I've never used it because we clean horse stalls daily and never have an issue. I think some people use it to keep odors down in their chicken coops too. The off odor must be from the peel itself, because I feed my ducks bananas whenever they get brown spots on them, and I haven't noticed any smell at all. Mine are outside about 9-5 during the day, and in a predator proofed stall at night. Maybe I'll notice more odor once the barn is closed up in the Winter, and the ducks are inside more, due shorter daylight hours?

Are you making sure that no leftover banana peel is left on the ground or in their dishes? Food when it gets wet gives off an awful odor especially wet duck feed (fish meal) and foods that naturally have a lot of moisture. For example, people think pigs are dirty and smelly, but the truth is when people throw food scraps and feed out there in the mud and bedding that's damp it causes the awful "pig smell".

Are you making sure that no leftover banana peel is left on the ground or in their dishes? Food when it gets wet gives off an awful odor especially wet duck feed (fish meal) and foods that naturally have a lot of moisture. For example, people think pigs are dirty and smelly, but the truth is when people throw food scraps and feed out there in the mud and bedding that's damp it causes the awful "pig smell".
I don't feed the birds in their coops. They eat all their food in the run or their pen and they finish it. For sure. I actually quit feeding the banana skins to the ducks and chickens. The geese eat it and it's not producing the same smell. I think problem is solved. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom