Bandaid stuck in silkie fluff

Just cut the bandaid off. The little bit of feathers that might be affected will grow back. Can someone help you when you re-bandage? A helper to keep feathers out of the way while you work.

I'm not putting it down. My cage is in a shed but it's a 28"×12" roughly guinea pig enclosure until my broader is built. I'm using newspaper over the plastic bottom for easy cleaning. On top, I have 2 or 3 inches of pine shavings. All of the chicks are cuddled up for the night and it's a bit too dark for me to be cutting around the little legs safely tonight. 1st thing in the morning I am going to try to cut it out. I won't be able to get vet tape to wrap it up until tomorrow evening so what should I use instead?

G’Day from down under msusweetiegirl
frow.gif
Welcome!

Wishing you and the little ones all the best.

welcome-byc.gif

Best of luck with your little one. If you type "splay leg" in the search box (upper left of the screen, under the logo), you'll find a lot of posts about it.

I saw a post where someone used a hair tie (rubberband) and a drinking straw. Use maybe a 1/4 inch piece of straw, and put the rubber band through the middle, leaving loops at the end for the chick's feet. Put the feet through the rubber band and viola! Like little leg shackles.

I saw a post where someone used a hair tie (rubberband) and a drinking straw. Use maybe a 1/4 inch piece of straw, and put the rubber band through the middle, leaving loops at the end for the chick's feet. Put the feet through the rubber band and viola! Like little leg shackles.

That's brilliant! Make sure the rubberband isn't cutting off circulation though :)

I cut as much as I could of the bandaid out of its fluff. I couldn't get anything else around the legs to brace the legs because of those awkward 5 toes lol. It is getting around very well even though it's legs are still slightly splayed. It seems to be the boss in there sorta. Now though, 3 of the 5 have brownish diarrhea and pasty butt. I cleaned all butt and grinder some oatmeal and put in the food. Burts are still clear 24 hours later but poop hasn't changed. Feed store said the electrolytes and probiotic could be culprit. Any imput on that?

Here you can see its legs. Not horrible but not normal. It's the chick near the food. These are my 3 silkies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom