Were You Attacked and Injured by YOUR Rooster?

Were You Attacked and Injured by Your Rooster?

• I did nothing, we're okay

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • I did nothing, he attacked again

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I confined him, his attitude improved

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I confined him, didn't help his attitude

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I rehomed him

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • I removed him from the gene pool (permanent)

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • Other (describe)

Votes: 12 23.5%

• Total voters
Kill any rooster who is acting aggressively, and don't rehome him. He could accidentally end up in a home with inexperienced chicken-keepers, and he could seriously injure anyone who is not watching their surroundings.

I, personally, have never been injured by a male chicken. I have had ones draw blood from me, but never an actual injury. Any time a male comes at me in hopes of dominance, I will kick him for self-defense reasons. There is only one exception, and that is my Cochin Bantam cockerel with a deformed leg. I don't want to accidentally paralyze him with a kick, so I won't defend myself from him and I will ignore his rather funny attempts.

"Some just take extra seasoning and steam pressure" 🤣 well stated. I'll be testing this method out in the next few weeks.
I found my problem this morning. Hormonal. And there would have been nothing I could have done about it and it would have only got worse. That's his on the left and meat roo on the right.

Attachments

• 20240318_091000.jpg
    20240318_091000.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 14
I found my problem this morning. Hormonal. And there would have been nothing I could have done about it and it would have only got worse. That's his on the left and meat roo on the right.
Yeah, looks about like my rooster's, poor guys were all jacked up on hormones!

Probably keep an eye on any of his sons that our friends have and get one back if they have a better temperament.
We have 10 of his chicks developing, due to hatch next weekend, and another dozen i just set this past Saturday, were hoping for something equally beautiful but much more tempered to hatch.

Kill any rooster who is acting aggressively, and don't rehome him. He could accidentally end up in a home with inexperienced chicken-keepers, and he could seriously injure anyone who is not watching their surroundings.

I, personally, have never been injured by a male chicken. I have had ones draw blood from me, but never an actual injury. Any time a male comes at me in hopes of dominance, I will kick him for self-defense reasons. There is only one exception, and that is my Cochin Bantam cockerel with a deformed leg. I don't want to accidentally paralyze him with a kick, so I won't defend myself from him and I will ignore his rather funny attempts.
Yes- a swift and firm kick has done the trick for me also.... I have been charged and run into by roos from behind and when they do they soon learn that won't do them any good because I chase and catch them with a big fishing net then pin them to the ground. Usually once does the trick for quite a while.

Yes- a swift and firm kick has done the trick for me also.... I have been charged and run into by roos from behind and when they do they soon learn that won't do them any good because I chase and catch them with a big fishing net then pin them to the ground. Usually once does the trick for quite a while.
I do not have a fishing net but I have been wanting a net to catch one of my roosters in for a long time, ever since he started flogging me. A few days ago, he actually caught me in three places on my leg, one bleeding. Any time he flogs me, I kick him and I chase him around the pen for however long it takes before he finally backs off. It is a good thing he is a bantam. I hatched out some of his chicks, which I know is not the best thing to do with an aggressive rooster, but none of my other males fertilized eggs properly and he was actually friendly. I accidentally turned him aggressive when I started taking one of his hens out of the pen so I could give her time to free-range under my supervision. That is when he got mad, but that is his problem, not mine.

I do not have a fishing net but I have been wanting a net to catch one of my roosters in for a long time, ever since he started flogging me. A few days ago, he actually caught me in three places on my leg, one bleeding. Any time he flogs me, I kick him and I chase him around the pen for however long it takes before he finally backs off. It is a good thing he is a bantam. I hatched out some of his chicks, which I know is not the best thing to do with an aggressive rooster, but none of my other males fertilized eggs properly and he was actually friendly. I accidentally turned him aggressive when I started taking one of his hens out of the pen so I could give her time to free-range under my supervision. That is when he got mad, but that is his problem, not mine.
Our aggressive Roo is a bantam also. I caught him under a bucket after he hit me from behind, and left him there for several minutes. When I let him out he was very calm, all feathers down, and even his “big brothers” the turkeys , didn’t know what to do as I wasn’t aggressively chasing the Roo.
Now if I have a bucket in hand he stays far away, but will try me if I’m empty handed.

Back
Top Bottom