Were You Attacked and Injured by YOUR Rooster?

Were You Attacked and Injured by Your Rooster?

• I did nothing, we're okay

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I did nothing, he attacked again

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I confined him, his attitude improved

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I confined him, didn't help his attitude

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I rehomed him

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • I removed him from the gene pool (permanent)

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • Other (describe)

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
Pics

fuzzi

She Who Brings Grapes
Premium Feather Member
Apr 5, 2022
Pitt County, NC
My Coop
My Coop
For those who were attacked and injured by their own rooster, please respond.

My rooster attacked me in the face, just missed my eye. I'm not keeping him, but would appreciate input from others.

IMG_20240226_095142172~2.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fuzzis-chicken-journal.1550586/post-27531561

I was squatted down in the run giving soldier worms to everybody when my 8-month old Welsummer Marans cross blindsided me and drew blood on my lip and under my ear. He could have KILLED me if he had spurs. I had his feet in one hand and his neck in the other, about to snap it and throw him into the pig pen but I just couldn't do it that way. Then I was going to shoot him but couldn't find the ammo for my pellet rifle. I'm torn because he's perfect for step 1A in my breeding project and I also wanted to keep him for back-crossing the best strong blue layers from 1B. But one of my goals is a family-friendly line and every old wife I've ever talked to suggests that daddy's personality affects his son's.

My first boy was a menace. Kept him for an additional six months after his first attack, and then he was given. At some point, he had to be completely separated from the girls, because you could not do anything, even as much as step in the coop, before you got an attack

Yes. Quite a few times over the years. I had one take me to the ground as a child and still occasionally have those memories flit through my mind when handling my boys or going down the path to the coop. Another one, a bantam, would launch himself at anyone he pleased, kicking. Nearly went after the sheriff once before we could scoop him up and cage him. Several others will/would grab a hand and kick at it or shuffle towards feet when walking. None stayed after they drew blood 2x from hand grabbing if they don’t kick while doing it (I always give them benefit of the doubt the first time, since they may have been too excited for food if all they did was grab). There are far too many good mannered males to keep one that is intent on hurting you

Any human aggressive cockerels/roosters I cull. There's no taming them, especially when it's the genetics.

Sometimes hormones in the spring can trigger human aggression, but generally it's short lived, & easily corrected. My boy Maran(My Big Baby), will get spring time aggression. He just charges a few times, & stops in his tracks when I raise my voice at him telling him NO. This may only go on 1-3 days, & it stops. So far this year, he's showing no spring aggression, but it's still early.
I rarely cage(Lock them up), cuz it's usually isn't necessary for this, maybe unless he's actually attacking you.

My first was perfect with the girls, a perfect protector, so he got a reprieve. With training (mostly behavior modification) he went from attacking every time I went near the flock to no attacks in six months. But I'm getting older and I can't take the risk of infected spur cuts, so I rehomed him to someone who said he wanted an aggressive rooster.

Back
Top Bottom