Were You Attacked and Injured by YOUR Rooster?

Were You Attacked and Injured by Your Rooster?

• I did nothing, we're okay

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I did nothing, he attacked again

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I confined him, his attitude improved

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I confined him, didn't help his attitude

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I rehomed him

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • I removed him from the gene pool (permanent)

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • Other (describe)

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
I had one rooster go after my kid (he was 6-8 at the time). It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but he did draw blood on my child's ear and chin. After taking care of the scratches I chased that rooster all over the run. If I had caught him I probably would have rung his neck then and there.

A few weeks later he removed himself from the gene pool when he tried to sneak up on my husband to flog him from behind while he was in the storeroom out at the coop. Husband didn't realize he was there and stepped backwards out of the storeroom and right onto the rooster, breaking his neck instantly.

Last edited:
He will be very tasty

ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF
Naw. A bantam doesn't have much meat. Too much work processing for a soup chicken.

Heh. My motto is "Every rooster is a good boy. Some just take extra seasoning and steam pressure."

Evidently, I've been too gentle with them doing the dominating trick. I did it two nights ago until I thought I might have injured them (they were fine). And yesterday, neither of them even looked at me funny the whole day.
"Some just take extra seasoning and steam pressure" 🤣 well stated. I'll be testing this method out in the next few weeks.

I'm torn because he's perfect for step 1A in my breeding project and I also wanted to keep him for back-crossing the best strong blue layers from 1B. But one of my goals is a family-friendly line and every old wife I've ever talked to suggests that daddy's personality affects his son's.

He is not perfect for step 1A. Most of us have kept a rotten rooster too long. Get a better rooster. Just because by some chance you got this rooster, is no reason to keep him.

If you want to breed, look around for other people that do this too, and often time people who hatch, have roosters.

It absolutely amazes me the people who think it is worthwhile to keep an aggressive rooster. A rotten rooster seriously decreases my enjoyment of the flock.

On the other hand, if you struggle with dispatching a bird, hatching may not be for you. There will be a lot of males hatched. I am an older woman, and I use the broomstick method, quick and I can do it by myself. Pull him off the roost at night, and he will really not know what happened.

Mrs K

He is not perfect for step 1A. Most of us have kept a rotten rooster too long. Get a better rooster. Just because by some chance you got this rooster, is no reason to keep him.

If you want to breed, look around for other people that do this too, and often time people who hatch, have roosters.

It absolutely amazes me the people who think it is worthwhile to keep an aggressive rooster. A rotten rooster seriously decreases my enjoyment of the flock.

On the other hand, if you struggle with dispatching a bird, hatching may not be for you. There will be a lot of males hatched. I am an older woman, and I use the broomstick method, quick and I can do it by myself. Pull him off the roost at night, and he will really not know what happened.

Mrs K
I've been following this thread and have tried a few things. He hasn't given me any problems since I properly demonstrated power differential to him, and have been positively reinforcing respectful behavior. I am, however, looking for a replacement for him and may just bite the bullet and order eggs to raise an even better one myself since I ain't seeing them locally.
He's going to get processed with my meat birds in a few weeks if he so much as looks at me the wrong way. I've only ever used a kill cone and a sharp blade - that's why I had a hard time throwing him to the pigs.

I re-homed one to an Amish couple who were told he was aggressive and wanted him anyway. I killed 2 more w broomstick method. So far, knock on wood, there have been no issues with males raised by/imprinted on mama hens. They’ve all been keepers.

Back
Top Bottom